Amine Amine
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 11/7 20:21
Missing Male Orange Swordtail fish #1
Hello Everybody

I have a strange situation, im new at this hobby i have got a new tank 60L run it for a week with internal filter that came with it as starter kit, after that i bought
- 7 Danois (5 zebras and 2 leopard)
- 2 Fancy male Guppies
- 2 painted Platties (male and femal)
- 3 Orange Swordtail (2 Female and 1 male)
I think im experiencing a new tank syndrome but not an issue im dealing with it, i went and i bought a new filter (Seachwm tidal 55) its working like magic.

Two nights ago i couldn’t find the male swordtail fish, i have looker every where in the tank removed decorations and nothing was found also checked around the tank if he jumped (i keep the led open) nothing was found.. he just disappeared, i can’t process this matter its bothering me

Has anyone experienced something like this ?!
Any suggestions or ideas what happened or where he could be lying dead ?!

Thanks in advance

Attach file:

jpeg  5ACF04C5-06D2-428B-B894-16B2111E1216.jpeg (3,498.02 KB)
22464_5d279a17ddf35.jpeg 4032X3024 px
Khopmuts Khopmuts
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 12/7 8:15
Re: Missing Male Orange Swordtail fish #2
I would personally say you way over stocked a new tank to begin with. I’d have only taken 4-6 danios. It can take weeks (months) to cycle a tank fully and grow enough bacteria to keep things healthy.

My guess with the swordtail is it probably died due to the ammonia spike (nitrogen cycle for new tanks) and more than likely the other fish have eaten it. I’d advice keeping the lid on at all times too as fish do jump out of water. I have a Cory catfish who darts to the surface of the water from time to time and if I didn’t have a lid on she’s be out she has that much power in her dart! Lol
Amine Amine
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 12/7 16:19
Re: Missing Male Orange Swordtail fish #3
I agree with you about a new tank that is overstocked, the fish store manager told me inly 6-8 fish for about 2 weeks and keep adding with a time, but i took my chances (got excited)

All the fish were from same store and the other Swordtail females from same tank.. i have checked them now and they are all alive swimming up and down and around everywhere

I also think he died and they ate him but i can’t prove it