Bellakyle Bellakyle
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 21/6/2019 14:37
Devastated my lovely 7 year old goldfish died this morning #1
I've had this fish since she was a baby and had no problems I changed a quarter of her water every week with aqua safe and tested her waters every week cleaned her stones and took out uneaten food and used pure aquarium aqua balls in the filter gently cleaned her filter sponge in her waste water About 3 months ago I had a very bad ammonia spike I dosed with pure aquarium balls in her filter and in the tank and water changes, she was very poorly and had burnt fins After doing some research I bought prime and dosed her for about a month she recovered and became her usual cheeky self. I continued using prime in water changes and a week ago I changed and cleaned her tank and she didn't recover she lay on the bottom of the tank I did regular water changes twice a day, test kit was 0 for ammonia 0 nitrite 20ppm nitrates I used a tiny volume of prime and got everything down to 0 for 4 days she still did not recover and ate a little when hand fed I popped to my local aquatic store for advice and was give some elgeria densa and some stability and was told to do a gravel clean and put the stability in the filter I put in a cup full to make up for the lost bacteria with water changes about an hour later she just nosed dived to the bottom of the tank and could not swim straight she lay on her side i tried giving her a pea but she didn't take it she then died there was no gasping for air it was quite peaceful I think!!! sorry for the long post I can't help thinking I poisoned her with too many chemicals😭 she was a much loved pet!!!
Bellakyle Bellakyle
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 21/6/2019 19:00
Re: Devastated my lovely 7 year old goldfish died this morning #2
Sorry forgot to add could I have some advice about why this happened and where I went wrong thanks
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 25/6/2019 21:55
Re: Devastated my lovely 7 year old goldfish died this morning #3
Sorry for not replying before now, and even sorrier to read of this sad situation - I empathise wholeheartedly, as I know very well how attached it is possible to become to goldfish.

Have you any idea at all what caused the ammonia spike? Had it been fine the previous week or did you miss out testing for a week or two? Did you change/remove any filter media at all? Did you put the pure aquarium balls in the filter to address the ammonia spike or did the ammonia spike occur alongside/after this? [For peace of mind, you could always contact your water company and find out if they had a problem around that date eg I learned that there was a problem with the local supply for a day or two where I live but unfortunately I had already done a water change a few days beforehand.]

What size of tank was she in, and what size of water changes did you do weekly? When you cleaned the stones/substrate, how did you do that? Do you know what your water hardness and PH is? Your water company website should be able to tell you these, the former in German degrees hardness and CaCO3 - let us know the results. [There are a few theories I have but your answers to these might help work out the possible cause.]

Did you happen to test the water after putting in the Seachem Stability? It does seem as though that had a catastrophic effect at the end, sadly, but may have compounded an already precarious situation.

If you don't mind / it's not too painful for you to answer these questions, then it might help us either put your mind at rest over some of them or work out the likely cause if indeed we can identify that.