Shubunkin72 Shubunkin72
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Devon
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/6/2019 22:54
White bump... #1
Hi, my one year old Bristol Shubunkin had a white bump on his side earlier. He was fine this morning and when I fed him some peas at lunch time, but a few hours later he had this sizeable white bump on his side. By the time I'd set up another tank so I could get a good look at him, it had vanished. It looked like a big whitehead...but was gone as quickly as it appeared. He seems fine, active and eating normally...came up to the surface and gave me the usual greeting.
The other fish, all shubunkins are fine, and water parameters spot on...had issues with pH dropping in the past, but crushed coral has sorted that out, and everything has been stable for months now.
I've never seen anything like this before, any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 24/6/2019 10:17
Re: White bump... #2
It's very hard to say without a photo, but as it disappeared so quickly I would assume it's nothing to worry about.
Shubunkin72 Shubunkin72
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 24/6/2019 13:38
Re: White bump... #3
Thanks for that...I feel a bit better now. Fish are so relaxing...apart from when they're not :)
Shubunkin72 Shubunkin72
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 4/7/2019 22:57
Re: White bump... #4
Sadly, my poor little fish became very poorly again. I actually managed to find a local vet who was happy to look at him, and he was very knowledgeable and very gentle with him. But it turns out my little fish has a large growth in his abdomen and it has weakened him so he has a secondary infection. Unfortunately the prognosis isn't good and the kindest option is to have him put to sleep :(
Thanks for your help though, I really did hope it was nothing to worry about.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 5/7/2019 13:18
Re: White bump... #5
Sorry to hear that :( It sounds as though there really wasn't anything you could do and euthanasia is the kindest thing for the fish.
Shubunkin72 Shubunkin72
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 8/7/2019 13:39
Re: White bump... #6
I'm just glad I found a local vet that wasn't just willing to see him, but was actually interested in fishes. He would have been willing to operate, but didn't think it would be successful and would be kinder this way. It was nice to meet someone who didn't laugh and suggest flushing him down the toilet and buying a new one...I've lost count of the times I've heard that!
They even fitted him in as an emergency as he went down hill very quickly after the initial assessment. All the staff were very kind and sympathetic and they wrapped him up in tissue and a little towel to bring him home. He's now buried next to the pond. RIP Shadow.
It helps a lot having this forum and other people who also love their fishes.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 9/7/2019 20:55
Re: White bump... #7
Very sorry to read about Shadow.

It is indeed invaluable to have found a vet like that - and so good that all the staff treated you/him with dignity and were caring. [I had a horrible experience many years ago when I called for a vet - can still remember his scathing attitude and words - but thankfully found another who was willing/happy to help and caring as well.]

What a loving and fitting place to bury him. RIP Shadow.
Shubunkin72 Shubunkin72
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 12/7/2019 11:27
Re: White bump... #8
I'm sorry you also had a bad experience with a vet...but sadly, I think we're probably not alone, which is incredibly sad that so many people have very little regard for fish, and goldfish in particular...and very little compassion for their owners. I did get some odd looks from other people waiting at the surgery with their cats and dogs...but I think on the whole, they just appreciated that I loved my fish as much as they love their pets.
My boyfriend used to have the same attitude, and even though he bought me my first goldfish, to him it was just a £2.99 fish that would look good in the pond, but wouldn't really matter if it died as I could just buy a new one. He laughed when I bought her indoors over winter, and even more when I set up an indoor pond in the lounge! Now he loves them all, and is always happy with the excited wiggles he gets whenever he's here and walks past their tank. He dropped his work to drive me to the vets on both days and didn't think it odd at all that I'd spend so much money on Shadow.
I really appreciate your help...always, and your kind words.