Ser420 Ser420
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 20/6 7:57
PLEASE HELP - cycling question #1
Hi there, can someone please give me some advice. I've been cycling my freshwater tank for over 2 months now, and I feel like it's taking forever. I really need to know if I'm doing something wrong, or if I should just keep being patient. The nitrites are taking FOREVER to increase. They are sitting at just over 0.25ppm, and have been for a few weeks. Is it supposed to take this long? Here is the rundown on my setup, if anyone can offer any advice, I would really appreciate it...
5.5gal, using pure ammonia, keeping it at 2-3ppm, water temp 82°, HOB filter on highest flow setting, light off and glass covered with black paper to block out light, dosed with Seachem Stability for 7 days, ph 8.2, I test the parameters every other day using the API master test kit...
If there's anything I should be doing differently, please share. TIA
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 21/6 7:49
Re: PLEASE HELP - cycling question #2
You say nitrite isn't rising, but is ammonia falling? Is nitrate rising?
Ser420 Ser420
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 22/6 0:35
Re: PLEASE HELP - cycling question #3
Ok, so my nitrite appears to be rising, just obviously VERY slowly. It just finally reached 0.50ppm. Nitrates are at approximately 2.5, and ammonia seems to drop very slowly, but has never zeroed out totally. I test every other day, and usually only have to add a couple drops of ammonia 1-2 a weeks to keep it at 2-3ppm. I just asked someone else about this, and he said he thinks "my tank is as cycled as it's going to get, and I should be good to go." That seems very wrong to me. Do I need to just keep being patient, or am I'm missing something here?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 22/6 7:34
Re: PLEASE HELP - cycling question #4
OK - now it's started to rise it may rise faster. The person who said it's as cycled as it's going to be is wrong; it sounds like it's barely cycling at all at the moment. My advice to help this is to NOT top up until ammonia is at or very close to 0. Also, turn up your heater to 28C and make sure there is good surface agitation of the water by lowering the water level a little so the filter return agitates the water.
Ser420 Ser420
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 22/6 9:07
Re: PLEASE HELP - cycling question #5
Thank you, I'll try that. Temp is just under 28° already, but I'll lower the water level a bit to increase agitation. I know oxygen is important. And I should ease up on the ammonia a bit? I was just worried I would starve the bacteria. I'm glad to hear that guy's advice was wrong. It really made no sense to me. I just don't understand why this has been taking me so long. I've done everything I can think of to help it along, aside from seeding the tank. I realize it usually does take quite a while, but I'm going on 10 weeks here! Anyways, thanks again for the advice. Hopefully things start to speed up soon.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 22/6 9:14
Re: PLEASE HELP - cycling question #6
By not dosing until ammonia is at 0 you will achieve a better result. Also, with such a small tank which won't be holding much stock 2ppm is plenty.
Ser420 Ser420
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 22/6 9:19
Re: PLEASE HELP - cycling question #7
Yes, I'd only like to keep one betta fish. I will definitely try that. 😁