Cameron920 Cameron920
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 8/6/2019 0:51
Male Betta friends? #1
I have a Male Betta in a 60 litre Biorb tank, he seems very happy and healthy but was wondering if there are any suitable tank mates for him or if he is best left alone?

Attach file:

jpg  20190608_005018.jpg (6,853.46 KB)
22395_5cfaf86b6767c.jpg 4032X1960 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/6/2019 8:31
Re: Male Betta friends? #2
Male bettas vary in temperament; some will tolerate tankmates others not at all so it's unwise to add tank mates unless you have a second tank to move him to if he doesn't take to any new additions.

Your Biorb seems to be missing the ceramic media from the bottom of the tank. This is a major part of the filtration system so needs to be in there. The sponge in the middle section may not be enough to deal with the fish's waste output and certainly couldn't cope with more than one fish.

I note also that you have added the fish without cycling the tank. This means for the next few weeks he is at risk from ammonia and nitrite in the water until the filter cycles. Either return him and cycle the tank using this guide before getting him back https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... hless-cycling-article.htm or follow this guide to dealing with a fish in cycle : https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... ammonia-nitrite-spike.htm
Cameron920 Cameron920
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 8/6/2019 13:48
Re: Male Betta friends? #3
I do have the ceramic media in this tank but due to the bowl shape the photo makes it hard to see.

The tank has been up and running for around 4 months but due to myself moving to Asia for 2 months I had to donate the previous fish to a family member but asked my brother to keep up with fishless cycles whilst I was away so it would be ready for when I came back (2 weeks ago).

I dont currently have a second tank set up so I wont risk adding anything with him.

Thanks again 😊