Cameron920 Cameron920
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 4/6/2019 13:57
60L Biorb #1
Hi I have a 60L biorb tank, its already an established tank but it's just empty at the moment. It contains 2 tall silk plants and a couple ornaments to hide in. I know that biorb tanks aren't ideal for keeping most fish but I dont have the money to buy another tank at the moment so it will just have to make do for the time being.

I'm a bit unsure on what kind of fish would be good for a tank of this size and shape as it's quite unusual and isnt ideal for a lot of fish.

I was currently thinking of getting 3/4 variable platies (1 Male 2/3 female) but just wanted to know if anyone would reccomend anything else instead or if this seems like a reasonable amount of fish for the tank.

Many thanks,

Cameron
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 4/6/2019 18:44
Re: 60L Biorb #2
You're correct in that almost all fishes' requirements are for something with a 'footprint' (and thus swimming length) of a certain size, the minimum for some small fish (e.g. small tetra species) being 60x30cm due in part to such fishes' requirements of being kept in shoals. [ You'll see here that the same minimum footprint requirement applies to platies https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... sheet.php?caresheetID=202 - and note that, even if you did have a suitable tank size, even one female in the presence of a male would result in you soon being over-run with fish as they can store fish sperm and continue to reproduce for 6 months post-contact with the male.]

However, one option for you and your 60L biorb tank might be a single male betta / Siamese fighter fish https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... esheet.php?caresheetID=82 as the need for swimming length is less important.
Cameron920 Cameron920
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 4/6/2019 19:03
Re: 60L Biorb #3
Thank you for the perfect answer! If I was to get a fighting fish for the 60l biorb would if be best kept alone, ie. No other fish in the tank PERIOD, or are there any other fish that would suit the tank alongside it or instead. Just seems like a large tank for one fish although if this is what you reccomend then I would happily give up the tank for just the one fish. Also the tank is currently filtered with the stock biorb filter but it doesnt have a heater so would the fish need a heater or is it okay at room temperature? (18-22 degrees usually)
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 5/6/2019 9:17
Re: 60L Biorb #4
A Betta will need a heater, as will anything small enough for a Biorb. There aren't any temperate fish suitable for it.
Cameron920 Cameron920
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 5/6/2019 10:40
Re: 60L Biorb #5
I have just bought a heater, what temperature would you recommend? Also what and how often should I feed a Male betta, as well as any other tips. Thank you :)
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 5/6/2019 13:23
Re: 60L Biorb #6
The link given previously https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... esheet.php?caresheetID=82
should hopefully answer your questions, as should this: https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/betta-splendens/

A quick internet search for "betta fish food" brings up a list of dried foods via Amazon from the key brands, formulated specifically for bettas. As well as the live/frozen food referred to in the above links and which are a key part of their diet, for the dried foods, choose pellets over flakes, and opt for sinking or semi-sinking over floating pellets.
Strelok111 Strelok111
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 27/6/2019 16:34
Re: 60L Biorb #7
Speaking of heaters for the Bettas, what would be the ideal temperature for them? And is there a way to cool down a tank that would be too warm? The thing is that my wife and I were considering getting one of these house in Cyprus to retire there within a couple years. On one hand, we don't have to worry about it being too cold for tropical fish, but on the other hand, isn't there a risk that the tank will be TOO warm at some point?
Cameron920 Cameron920
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 27/6/2019 18:12
Re: 60L Biorb #8
Anywhere between 25⁰c - 30⁰c is perfect for betta fish. I'm unsure on if there are ways to keep the tank cooler if it is exceeding 30⁰c over there, maybe someone with more knowledge may know. If your house has air con I'm sure it will be fine anyhow.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 28/6/2019 20:53
Re: 60L Biorb #9
In the event that the temperature rose too high, you could cool the tank by directing a fan at the water surface, or by floating bottles of cold water in the tank.