(1) 2 »
Fishyfishfish Fishyfishfish
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 3/5/2019 11:07
Platy poo is constantly white! #1
Hi there!

I've got a Platy whose poo is always white, since I first got her 3 weeks ago. She spends quite a lot of time at the surface but other than that she seems to be acting normally.

I treated with a standard dose of Esha 2000 at the start in case it was some nasty bug, and I've also given her peas but it is still white or sometimes clear. I can't see anything visible on her so I'm at a bit of a loss.

What else could it be?

Cheers.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 3/5/2019 15:43
Re: Platy poo is constantly white! #2
It may be internal parasites - treat with Waterlife Sterazin or Seachem Paraguard
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 3/5/2019 18:51
Re: Platy poo is constantly white! #3
Ordered a bottle of the Paraguard.

Thanks Fishlady!
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 5/5/2019 13:55
Re: Platy poo is constantly white! #4
Just a quick update...

There are two platys and both seem to be quite lethargic. One I've had for 3 weeks (the one with the white poo) and another I added on Friday, which is also producing white poo.

They look like marble saffron mollies but are platys and they both spend a LOT of time on the gravel and don't move that much, even when the light is on. I can't see any visible signs of disease on either of them so I've started dosing with the Paraguard, however, I believe it is only for external parasites rather than internal?

Can anyone confirm this? If so I may need to buy something else in order to eradicate this problem.
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 8/5/2019 16:11
Re: Platy poo is constantly white! #5
Anyone?

What is the best treatment for internal parasites, excluding Seachem Paraguard?
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 17/5/2019 14:11
Re: Platy poo is constantly white! #6
I went for a bottle of Waterlife Sterazin and I've put two does into the tank so far.

The bottle states to dose the tank on days 1,3,6,8 & 10. I'm sticking to this guide, however, the fish are only in a 24 litre holding tank and I'm concerned that I won't be able to go that long without doing a water change. Nitrates are ~15 out the tap so I'd usually do a weekly water change to keep on top of it.

Am I best to just go the distance this once or would a water change not stop the treatment working?

Thank you.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 17/5/2019 14:45
Re: Platy poo is constantly white! #7
It's best not to change water during treatment so I would do a large water change immediately before starting the course and then wait until the end before doing the next one. Restrict feeding while this is ongoing as if they eat less they poop less and so water quality won't deteriorate as fast.
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 22/5/2019 11:26
Re: Platy poo is constantly white! #8
Ok, so I've put the last dose of treatment in today and it hasn't worked. I've noticed that a couple of times their poo has been brown but, most of the time, it's still white. I did not change any water during this time either.

Does anyone know whether the course of Parazin can be repeated? There is little information given on the bottle itself so I'm hoping someone has experience of using it. Do I have any other options at this point?

Any help gratefully received.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 22/5/2019 19:09
Re: Platy poo is constantly white! #9
You can do another course after a water change, but if there are no other symptoms it's possible the colour of their poo is just about what they're eating. Is it odd in any other way - bubbles in it, stringy looking, or is it apparently normal but just a pale colour?
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 22/5/2019 21:23
Re: Platy poo is constantly white! #10
Quote:

Fishlady wrote:
You can do another course after a water change, but if there are no other symptoms it's possible the colour of their poo is just about what they're eating. Is it odd in any other way - bubbles in it, stringy looking, or is it apparently normal but just a pale colour?

I've never known poo be this white before, especially considering their diet, and comparing that to the other fish I have (3 Platy, 6 Cardinal Tetra). I feed them Tetra flakes and frozen food and the only fish that produce white poo are these 2 Platy. The poo is stringy in that it forms a long string before it detaches from the fish - and is completely white. I must admit that I fed them frozen Bloodworm earlier today and their poo was brown for a certain time, but then it just goes back to white.

Both fish seem lethargic at times and spend lots of time still either at the top or bottom of the tank so I know there is definitely something not right.

Would a salt bath help them in any way?