Zendo Zendo
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 7/4 14:39
unidentified attachment on tail fin #1
I have an elephant ear Betta with an unidentified attachment on tail fin.
He does not seem to behave any differently although I am aware that he rests quite a lot but that maybe that i have only just noticed this.
He is alone in a well planted 18litre tank.
I have attached a photo the black item is protrudig from dark spot on fin .

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_20190407_133309777-EFFECTS.jpg (177.40 KB)
22243_5caa0b8ca7173.jpg 900X640 px
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 7/4 15:42
Re: unidentified attachment on tail fin #2
I'm seeing a black mark on the tail fin plus foliage/planting - but maybe someone else will be able to see better what you're referring to. In the meantime, what are your current results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates? The reason for the question is that this may help work out what the black mark is on the tail fin.
Zendo Zendo
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 7/4 18:23
Re: further to unidentified attachment on tail fin #3
FURTHER TO EARLIER QUERY"unidentified attachment on tail fin"
---
The betta also has a similar attachement on the dorsal fin.
They both look like little stick on car aerials.
The water is: amonia 0 Nitrite 0, Nitrate around 5ppm ( that is the testtube looks closer to5 than zero)
I have not introduced any new animals or water plants.
The only other thing I have done is: when replacing the filtre media pack i also retained the old filter pack in the adjacent space in the box. Reasoning that without the old bacteria the new pack would need cycling. Tank is Interpet Edge Glow
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/4 14:32
Re: further to unidentified attachment on tail fin #4
Could the betta have injured itself on any decor, caught its fin or tail in the filter or burned itself on a heater?

Keep monitoring the water quality - daily or every other day - doing extra/large water changes if required to ensure that it remains at those optimum levels. The 'problem' may resolve in its own time although bettas do undergo changes in colour.

If his behaviour or appetite changes, then that would be the time to concern yourself and we'll try to help further.

You've taken the correct course of action, for the correct reasoning, with regards to the filter media pack. The other option you could do, and which I did with a previous filter like you describe, is to convert from a filter media pack to a purely sponge/foam filter which won't need replacing at all. You could do this by placing pieces of foam in any spare space - in fact, if the new filter media pack hasn't been in very long to start building up beneficial bacteria, you could discard it, keep the old one in place with its beneficial bacteria and pack foam in the spare spaces. After a month or so, by which time beneficial bacteria will have built up on the foam, remove the filter pack and replace it with more foam. During the month or so that the new/additional foam is building up its beneficial bacteria, don't add any more stock.
Zendo Zendo
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 14/4 15:01
Re: further to unidentified attachment on tail fin #5
Thanks for advice. I will act on the sponge inserts although I am confused over the differing densities of sponge. I bought some online that is very tightly -spun? close grained? wereas I have seen much more open sponges available.

I am conviced the offender is an anchor worm and have started treating him with an hospital tank c/w plants and a mild dose of Anti crustacean parasite Interpet. I added 3grams of aqua salt to his 16 litre tank. He seems healthy enough but the worm still clings on.
I plan to give it 7 days, 30% water change and redose.

I did all this before I saw your reply no rudeness intended.