Escher64 Escher64
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 24/3 18:10
New tank #1
Hi all. I've been cycling a new tank over the last few weeks and we are just about ready to start putting fish in. My 4 year old grandson is insistent on having some neon tetras in there. So my question is what other fish can I put in with tetras bearing in mind that I want some shrimps in there too? 110 litre tank. TIA for any suggestions.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 24/3 18:59
Re: New tank #2
If you can let us know what your water hardness is, either in GH and KH from your water testing kits or else from inputting your postcode into your water/utility website to get water hardness results in CaCO3 or German degrees hardness, that would be really useful for us to help you choose suitable fish whose water requirements match those of your own water.

[I see, from a previous post of yours, that you were asking about Tetra Safestart .v. other products. What approach did you use for the cycling process ultimately and how have you found it?]
Escher64 Escher64
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 24/3 19:40
Re: New tank #3
I decided not to use Tetra safe start or any equivalent product. Instead I added liquid ammonia and let the bacteria develop naturally. It's taken best part of a month adding small amounts of ammonia every couple of days and testing the water. On Wednesday of last week I did a water test and the nitrite level had fallen off a cliff with a reading of zero. Ph 7 Hardness is 7.05 German degrees according to Severn Trent website.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 25/3 9:58
Re: New tank #4
I would suggest a decent shoal of neons - 12 or so and add a shoal of at least six of a corydoras species, plus maybe a pair of dwarf cichlids such as any of the apistogrammas, German Blue rams or Bolivian rams.
Escher64 Escher64
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 26/3 20:01
Re: New tank #5
Thank you for the suggestions on what to put in with tetras. Another week or so and I think we'll be just about there