Zendo Zendo
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 6/3 21:45
WCMM Glancing – itching itself against tank objects no visible symptoms #1
New fish keeper. I have 25l Nano, soon to be exchanged for 57l, Problem WCMMs. one of them , the smallest, is often glancing off leaves , and mad bursts swimming and twisting across tank. There are no visible , to me anyway, signs on his body. He does feed pretty well. There are no signs in the rest of them. The tank is very well planted and he spends some time in the leaves but there are a couple of males being maccho with finnage on display. I have had beginers troubles getting the water balance right : the last results gh 180,kh180 ,ph 6.5/7, NO2 0 ,NO3 0 Temp around 72F^ with water change 30% and a dose of Tetra Easy Balance. I could rigg an hospital tank up from a plastic storage box. But I am aware the greatest danger to fish is beginners overmedicating- fixing what aint broke. Thanks
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 6/3 22:45
Re: WCMM Glancing – itching itself against tank objects no visible symptoms #2
Do you have a test result for ammonia? How long has the tank been set up? Was it cycled prior to getting fish?
Zendo Zendo
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 8/3 15:03
Re: WCMM Glancing – itching itself against tank objects no visible symptoms #3
Thankyou for your reply
No , not got an ammonia reading. Will have to get some test strips for it!
It is about a month since fish wenet in and, sadly, i did not know the correct method of cycling. So , with the benefit of hindsight , it was not cycled.
What can I do to ameliorate the situation?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/3 15:07
Re: WCMM Glancing – itching itself against tank objects no visible symptoms #4
Get yourself a liquid-based master test kit like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/API-MASTER- ... m:mus6ISSe6hh_Tugj3Fs3zhA and test for ammonia and nitrite at least once a day. If either is showing above 0.25 (on a liquid test, strips are not accurate), change enough water to drop the level back to 0.25 or under, remembering to dechlorinate the new water. There's an article here on fish-in cycling with a few more tips to keep the fish safe during this time: https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... ammonia-nitrite-spike.htm
Zendo Zendo
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 9/3 11:43
Re: WCMM Glancing – itching itself against tank objects no visible symptoms #5
Thanks I have done 50% water change and tested clear on Ammonia , 03 ,02
I will monitor this more regularly.
Zendo Zendo
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 14/3 20:54
Re: WCMM Glancing – itching itself against tank objects no visible symptoms #6
Sorry to be a pain but water is all 0 in amonia,nitrate nitrite. But now two WCMM are flicking and glancing off plants I cannot see anything although I don't know what to look for.
Obviously i have searched net ( always a risk )but am loath to guess how to treat them.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 15/3 16:13
Re: WCMM Glancing – itching itself against tank objects no visible symptoms #7
Keep monitoring your ammonia, nitrite and nitrates *daily* for at least the next month / a month after you move the fish into their more appropriate-sized home, to ensure that you get through the cycling stage. For such a small tank, this may very well require daily water changes of whatever quantity required to keep ammonia and nitrite at 0 and nitrates no more than 20 - these readings need to remain at this level every day. Stress, through too-small an environment, can also play havoc with fish hormones and secretions of these in turn affects all tank inhabitants, but this can't be measured through home-based test kits; even small daily water changes should help address this, though, by diluting levels of these hormones.

When you move the fish into their new home, it will be crucial to preserve any beneficial bacteria that you have in the filter media so that it can continue to process the fish waste, and not let this die off - it starts to become dormant within an hour or so, dying off thereafter. Therefore, after the new tank has been set up with substrate and dechlorinated water:
* if you're not intending to use a new filter in the new tank, move the filter and its media straight into the new tank along with the fish [no need to do a fishless cycle on that tank's filter unless you're planning to increase your stock];
* if you're intending to use a new filter in the new tank but not the old one, transfer across all the filter media from the current filter into it along with the fish;
* if you're intending to use both old and new filter in the new tank, keep half the filter media in the old filter and put the other half of the filter media into the new filter to seed it.

After about a month, then taper off the water testing and just do it once a week thereafter, just before the scheduled water change, to ensure that you're managing to keep the water quality at this level throughout the week and up to immediately before the scheduled water change.

Hopefully this, and following the excellent advice in the link that Fishlady gave you, will help reduce the flicking - very often a cause of fluctuating water quality / the fish-in cycle. [Been there, done that, albeit in the pre-internet days when these forums didn't exist.]
Zendo Zendo
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 15/3 21:35
Re: WCMM Glancing – itching itself against tank objects no visible symptoms #8
Thank you , I will continue to monitor. I assume that you consider the flicking is not a disease and simply a reaction to water quality so death of fish is not immenet.

Mea culpa: I didn't say previously that I had done two 50% exchanges of water and tested twice. Dechlorinting/tempreature balancing , cleaning filter( cassette) and impeler and vacuuming gravel top layer. Since Fishlady posted.
The tank though nano , 25 litres. is supposed to cope wjth the amount of fish I have (according to concensus of internet advice)= 4 WCMM 1 cory.
I am guilty of overfeeding , over lighting and overplanting.
Steep learning curve!
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 17/3 16:52
Re: WCMM Glancing – itching itself against tank objects no visible symptoms #9
Sorry for not being able to reply yesterday as intended. I'll need to be brief but, essentially:

* flicking *might* be a disease but more likely to be a water quality issue (which doesn't necessarily mean that death is not imminent - acute or chronic water quality problems can result in death - but hopefully following this advice will minimise that risk);
* when cleaning filter, a gentle squeeze of filter media into being-discarded tank water is all that's required (don't over-clean it or rinse in fresh water, otherwise you'll lose the beneficial bacteria required which processes the fish waste);
* internet advice contains a lot of incorrect advice as well as 'bona fide' advice, so caution must be aired; this https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... esheet.php?caresheetID=73 and this https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/tanichthys-albonubes/ and http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Tanichthys-albonubes.html are 'bona fide' sources about these fish's requirements in terms of minimum tank size, minimum numbers, and lots more. (These aspects are much more important than lighting and planting ie neither over-lighting nor over-planting are likely to have any adverse effects.) With the wealth of info out there on so many aspects, it's difficult to tell the 'wood from the trees' and the relative importance of different aspects, but these caresheets should keep you 'on track'.

Hope that's helpful.