rosebud2018 rosebud2018
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 7/3 23:11
Baby Snail #1
hi there,

checking the tank tonight thinking I must clean it tomorrow I have discovered a baby snail!! we have a tropical tank. with 3 zebra snails. Had 4 but 1 died.

And now we've spotted one more. tiny white baby snail. Looks identical to pictures of baby zebra snails. We;ve not added new plants to the tank for over a month, but everything I've read says we do not have a baby snail. We absolutely do.

Is this possible? And could there be more?

R
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/3 9:17
Re: Baby Snail #2
It's very rare for a nerite baby to appear in a freshwater tank as the eggs/larvae need saltwater to hatch and develop. It's more likely to have been a pest snail egg on a plant, but watch it grow and as it does you'll be able to tell as the zebra pattern will appear in time if it's a nerite.
rosebud2018 rosebud2018
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 8/3 14:51
Re: Baby Snail #3
howlong do the eggs take to hatch. We've not bought any plants for two months

Deffo gonna watch it and see. will try to get a pic .
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/3 15:02
Re: Baby Snail #4
5-6 weeks, can be longer or shorter depending on temperature. If your nerites are breeding you should be seeing quite a few of their eggs. They'll be stuck to hard surfaces and look a bit like sesame seeds.