Sylvia1 Sylvia1
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 4/2/2019 11:46
Please help platy tumbling and swimming vertical #1
Hello everyone, I'm new here and not long into fish keeping and I am desperate for help and advice

one of platy is was doing what u can only describe as somersaults and is swimming vertical as in head up, I have tried the pea method and some brine shrimp in case of swim bladder but no help.

When I do a water change he seems to be worse for a while and then just goes back to the vertical swimming thing, he is still eating which is a good sign I guess.

Any suggestions what this could be?, he has no marks on his body that I see

Anything else you need to know just ask

87 litre tank, running a year, fluval 206 filter, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 20, gh 17, kh 12.

I have 5 platy, 7 white cloud mountain minnows and cherry shrimp.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 4/2/2019 13:07
Re: Please help platy tumbling and swimming vertical #2
Hi

Is the fish pooping normally or is it white or clear or does it have bubbles in it?
Sylvia1 Sylvia1
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 4/2/2019 13:42
Re: Please help platy tumbling and swimming vertical #3
Hi thanks for replying to me, he hasn't been pooping much but when he is it is normally formed and no white bits, however saying that I did notice that every now and then some of them would have white stringy poop

If it is a parasite which one could it be?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 4/2/2019 14:15
Re: Please help platy tumbling and swimming vertical #4
Unless you've added new stock recently it's unlikely to be a parasite, but stringy poop can also mean an internal bacterial infection, which is a common cause of swim-bladder issues and trouble balancing. Treat with Esha 2000. Remember to remove carbon from your filter (if used) prior to starting treatment.
Sylvia1 Sylvia1
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 4/2/2019 14:25
Re: Please help platy tumbling and swimming vertical #5
Hello thanks again for getting back to me,

One of my other fish had a bacteria issue so I had already treated with a broad range gram negative and gram positive bacteria treatment and it didn't help him at all

The other platy had yellow gills and was breathing really quick, he settled after this but there is still yellow on his gills, he is now swimming around fine and eating well.

I had used esha 2000 along with esha exit about 4 weeks ago, extended dose but it didn't sort him out

That was before the bacteria treatment, I don't want to overdose on medications, but the increased water changes hadn't been working.

Is this maybe related and is there anything else I could do

I feel like I'm doing something wrong and he is ill due to me
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 5/2/2019 11:08
Re: Please help platy tumbling and swimming vertical #6
Yellow patches on gills are often either columnaris or a bacterial gill disease or flukes. Columnaris is unlikely as there would be other very obvious symptoms. I would suggest to try and cover everything you're seeing that you dose with Esha Gdex and Esha Hexamita together.

What water conditioner are you using? Some can interfere with medication which may be why you've seen little improvement so far.