nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 3/2 2:07
Suggestion on mid-dweller softwater fish that can tolerate "decent" flow? #1
Hi all, it's been a while

So finally i've set up my 170x50x60 tank with fast moving - blackwater style.

The tank has a huge piece of wood and thick sand bottom with plants mainly attached to the wood. Flow rate is something like 2500-3000l/hr

The tank is meant for some pleco but Im not adding any pleco yet until the tank and vegetation mature.

So far Im having 10 bronze cory and Im planning to get some more kind of cory. However, the mid level of the tank is really empty now and Im not sure neon or rummy nose can tolerate this kind of flow....

The parameter is:
Temp 27C
gH and kH is 1-3degree (Pretty soft water)

Any suggestion is welcome! I don't like something too big though
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 3/2 17:39
Re: Suggestion on mid-dweller softwater fish that can tolerate "decent" flow? #2
Hmmm... quite a lot of the fish I was thinking about (eg danios) need lower temperatures.

Cherry barbs or microdevario kubotai might be options but 27 degrees is right at the top of their range and your water hardness may be a little on the soft side for the cherry barbs.

Will continue with having a think about alternatives...
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 3/2 23:58
Re: Suggestion on mid-dweller softwater fish that can tolerate "decent" flow? #3
Yea..... i feel like theres no such suitable fish.... at least not that im aware of.
3000l/hr is not that strong from mid to end of the tank but still it'd be better to have strong swimmers
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 5/2 11:12
Re: Suggestion on mid-dweller softwater fish that can tolerate "decent" flow? #4
X-Ray tetras (Pristella maxillaris) are OK up to 28C and will work well in a moderate flow.
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 8/2 12:25
Re: Suggestion on mid-dweller softwater fish that can tolerate "decent" flow? #5
I just had a look on them.

Honestly they are not very appealing to me and they are not easily available in my country.

I guess my tank is too warm for most of fast-moving fish?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/2 14:02
Re: Suggestion on mid-dweller softwater fish that can tolerate "decent" flow? #6
Yes, there aren't many. How about glowlight tetras (Hemigrammus erythrozonus)? They're OK to 28C and quite streamlined so would be OK with the flow I think.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/2 22:17
Re: Suggestion on mid-dweller softwater fish that can tolerate "decent" flow? #7
Quote:

nathangoudie wrote:
Honestly they are not very appealing to me and they are not easily available in my country.

In their defence, mine have "grown" on me and I now feel they're understated. Their tails are blood red, their fin colouring/patterning really stands out, and their eyes are good for making eye contact with (a feature I favour). The females in particular were very entertaining but that may have been unique to them, and it was particularly eventful when the males set off en masse in hot pursuit of a female, although I now just have males left. However, if they're not easily available, then perhaps Fishlady's alternative option might appeal to you better and be more widely available.