Nine73 Nine73
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 29/1 14:23
Advice needed! Firemouth cichlid #1
Hi
Looking for advice regarding my firemouth,
I am new to tropical fish, only got a 200litre tank 5months ago and have been battling with keeping the water quality good, and lost a few fish to disease whilst i was learning to care for my fish well. Currently i have the following fish in the tank, 1x firemouth, 1x keyhole, 1x bristlenose pleco, 1x red tailed shark, 1x flying fox, 1x giant danio, 8 barbs, 4panda corydoras + 4 snails. I appear to have the conditions right now, as i noticed that my firemouth (which i really thought was male, due to dominance) has laid eggs, i was not expecting this as i only bought 1 of each of the main fish so they would not breed. Is anyone aware of firemouths breeding with a keyhole, or anything else in my tank? Could these eggs have been laid + not fertilized? How would i know. I am not sure what i should do in this situation as ive read that its not good to create any kind of hybrid! Advice would be appreciated 😁
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 29/1 14:44
Re: Advice needed! Firemouth cichlid #2
Usually, when there's no male, female cichlids reabsorb their eggs, but occasionally will lay them. Even if the keyhole attempted to fertilise them, they would remain sterile as the two species are not closely related enough to reproduce. You can usually tell that eggs have not been fertilised as they stay a whitish colour whereas fertile eggs will turn a deep amber colour in 24 hours or so.
Nine73 Nine73
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 29/1 15:53
Re: Advice needed! Firemouth cichlid #3
Thank u so much
Thats really helpful
Its hard to see the colour, as they are laid on driftwood, some have turned white and i assume they are dead ones, the only other cichlid i have is the keyhole and i would presume no other male fish that i have could fertilize them? Should i remove the eggs from the wood to save her guarding eggs that wont hatch?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 29/1 16:46
Re: Advice needed! Firemouth cichlid #4
You can remove them if you wish. Nothing in your tank can fertilise them. You would need either a male firemouth or a closely related Central American cichlid species for that to happen.
Nine73 Nine73
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 29/1 16:51
Re: Advice needed! Firemouth cichlid #5
Thank you

I feel so much better!😁