Animal Welfare Vote
Aehardy Aehardy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 26/1 23:00
Danio cyst/ lump #1
One of my zebra danios has an large lump under its mouth. It looks like it’s got something dark inside it on one side which is a bit odd. It’s swimming normally, eating ok and doesn’t seem in distress. I’m just worried it suddenly will become noticeably ill as it’s so big. It’s been there about a week or so.

Any ideas what it could be please? I’ve searched images on lots of Internet forums but can’t see anything that looks quite the same.

My cold water tank has been set up 2 years and is 150l with a fluval 206 pump. It contains 5 danios, 8 platys, 1 weather loach, 2 goldfish.

PH 7.5
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0

I recently treated the tank with melafix as my only remaining male platy had clamped fins and a cottony fuzz on him which has now gone ( although he still is a bit lethargic)
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 27/1 19:09
Re: Danio cyst/ lump #2
Can you post a photo please as it's hard to diagnose without seeing the problem?
Aehardy Aehardy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 28/1 17:32
Re: Danio cyst/ lump #3
I did try as I have managed to get a few but I can’t seem to upload them- apparently they are too large. I spent ages trying to reduce the pixel size then it still wouldn’t upload... I will try again.... thanks !
Aehardy Aehardy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 28/1 17:33
Re: Danio cyst/ lump #4
Photo

Attach file:

jpeg  241F6904-F26D-4C77-BCA2-90B3E8CA9C3B.jpeg (67.25 KB)
22177_5c4f3cdcc26bf.jpeg 320X240 px
Aehardy Aehardy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 28/1 17:37
Re: Danio cyst/ lump #5
More photos

Attach file:

jpeg  C3E201AB-6DB7-452F-9511-6C7798BC8969.jpeg (66.37 KB)
22177_5c4f3de05826d.jpeg 320X240 px
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 28/1 18:23
Re: Danio cyst/ lump #6
Good that behaviour, appetite, etc., seem normal.

What sort of substrate do you have? Is it black sand that might possibly have been ingested (e.g. if the fish forages / was foraging to retrieve some food) or do you have large gravel pieces and which would be far too large for that to happen (i.e. and therefore eliminates that as a possibility)?
Aehardy Aehardy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 28/1 19:23
Re: Danio cyst/ lump #7
Yes my substrate is mixed colour so there are dark ones similar size although I think maybe a bit larger.

I did initially wonder about that possibility but I’ve never seen the danios go near the gravel to ingest it. They tend to swim about the tank rather than snuffling round the bottom. I have had that with a goldfish once or twice but their mouth was jammed open and so that made me think it wasn’t in this case plus it’s quite far down the mouth. I can’t rule out for definite though- has anyone had a danio who did that?
Aehardy Aehardy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 23/2 7:39
Re: Danio cyst/ lump #8
Update for anyone in the future searching old threads with a similar issue...

Sadly my Danio died yesterday. He had been swimming and eating normally up to then although the lump had got a little larger. I looked at it after I retrieved him from the tank and it wasn’t a stone, looked like some sort of tumour so I guess that was never going to be treatable