Weeali87 Weeali87
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 10/1 12:39
New to fishkeeping #1
Hi there, I’m new to fishkeeping and received a fluval Roma 120l tank as a present at Xmas.

I’ve had tank set up for 3 weeks now and have fish in but the tank is still really cloudy, i’m running a fluval u2 filter in it and just wondering if I can do away with any of the media in and replace with wool
captainhaddock captainhaddock
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 10/1 17:24
Re: New to fishkeeping #2
I found API accu-clear worked really well in mine, I had some cloudyness from the sand I used.
Weeali87 Weeali87
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 10/1 17:59
Re: New to fishkeeping #3
I’ve used seachem clarifier but doesn’t seem to be doing anything. Wondering if I would be able to take some sort of media out my u2 filter and put filter floss in to help
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 10/1 18:44
Re: New to fishkeeping #4
Floss and/or clarifiers won't help as what you have is a bacterial bloom because the tank is not cycled. Your fish are at risk of ammonia and nitrite poisoning until the tank is cycled. Test daily for both ammonia and nitrite and do a very large water change if either is above 0.25 ppm. This article explains what the nitrogen cycle is and why ideally tanks should be cycled before adding any fish: https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... hless-cycling-article.htm This one explains in more detail what to do to keep your fish safe if you added them without cycling your tank first: https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... ammonia-nitrite-spike.htm