BobW562 BobW562
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 5/12/2018 21:38
Leopard Danio #1
Hello,

I have just started my tank this year and am new to using any kind of online forum but I have a dilemma I would like some help with. I just have a small tank and am still learning as i go.

Set Up: Coldwater 28L/6 Gallons. Containing 6 White cloud mountain minnows, 3 Zebra Danio's and 2 Leopard Danio's and 7 Cherry Shrimp. Also quite well planted with Java Ferns, Java Moss and Anubia's mostly fixed to bogwood. Fluval U1 filter (good up to about 50L). Water readings generally quite good, Nitrate creeps up a bit but controlled with water changes. Everything else ok according to the test strips.

I read an aquarium book and built up fish stock 3 fish at a time white clouds, then zebra's, then leopards. I have lost one of the leopards but otherwise all the fish appear healthy and active and have grown and developed richer colours. I was under the impression this tank would be good for 14 fish of this size so decided to limit it at 12.

Recently the 2 leopard danios seem to be quite bossy and seem to chase away anything that comes into the front/centre of the tank. I had thought these were peaceful community fish (and are sold as such) but now upon reading more it seems maybe they need to be in a bigger shoal or need more space? The zebra danio's seem to be quite peaceful and the white clouds are no problem at all.

Have I dropped the ball with my research here and what should I do? Would getting 1/2 more leopards help or should I try and move them on? I don't want to overcrowd the tank and I do want to do the right thing by all it's residents. Any advice appreciated. Thank You.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 6/12/2018 10:53
Re: Leopard Danio #2
Can you please post actual test results for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

Unfortunately, the tank you have is very overstocked and is also too small for the fish. The minimum recommended for danios is 3ft long as they are fast swimmers who need a lot of space and to be in quite large groups. In small numbers and confined spaces they become nippy with each other.

It's also too small for the white cloud mountain minnows who need at least a 60-litre tank.
BobW562 BobW562
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 6/12/2018 16:15
Re: Leopard Danio #3
Hi,

Thanks for your reply and the advice. We made a decision and donated the 2 Leopards to an aquatics shop today.

The readings this morning (pre-water change) were Ammonia 0.5 (API test strip) and Nitrate 25mg and Nitrite 0 (Tetra test strip). I do a 10L water change every 1-2 weeks.

From what you are saying what I understood to be true about the tanks capacity is wrong. I shall not add anymore fish then but I simply don't have room anywhere in my home for a bigger tank. I thought I was being cautious but clearly I have gone wrong somewhere.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 7/12/2018 11:40
Re: Leopard Danio #4
Ammonia at .5 is quite toxic to fish and will be the cause of death. Change at least 50% of the water to get that down and test daily, changing water whenever you see ammonia until such time as the reading returns to 0. Also test daily for nitrite as a nitrite spike often follows on from an ammonia spike and if you see nitrite, treat the same way as for ammonia.