(1) 2 »
Chrisosaurus Chrisosaurus
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 6/11 23:21
Female Platy not eating and swimming aimlessly #1
Hello,

One of my platys has stopped eating that I can see, and seems to be swimming without purpose.
She occasionally seems to swim into the glass and continues going...

I seen her being a bit wobbly tonight as well and it's making me think I should humanely euthanize her following the steps from here
https://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-m ... y-to-euthanize-a-fish.htm

Not sure I could get a hospital tank up and running before she would potentially pass, and also she has been like this probably around a week...

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris

**Edit** should also mention she occasionally seems to rest, or get caught perhaps, in some of my plants while still flapping her fins and tail so unsure if she's trying to rest or is actually stuck and too weak to do anything about it.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 7/11 18:47
Re: Female Platy not eating and swimming aimlessly #2
If she's having trouble keeping balanced she may have an internal bacterial infection. You can treat with Esah 2000. However, if you're convinced she's approaching the end of the road with no way back, euthanasia may be advisable. Only you can tell really as you're able to observe her.
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 7/11 19:55
Re: Female Platy not eating and swimming aimlessly #3
Ok will order some ESHA2000 and monitor for the next few days

I'm sure you get asked this all the time, is it OK to dose the entire tank even with all the other fish in it?
I also have Otocinclus, an Angelfish, Cories, a few shrimp and snails.

Thanks,
Chris
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 7/11 20:08
Re: Female Platy not eating and swimming aimlessly #4
It's safe for all fish and for shrimps but may kill snails. If you only have a few ornamental snails it would be safer to remove them during treatment. Put them in a Tupperware box or ice cream tub and float it in the tank to keep the water warm.
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 7/11 20:57
Re: Female Platy not eating and swimming aimlessly #5
Ok thanks, it's all Nerite snails that I've got, should I lid the tupperware and put holes in the lid?
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 7/11 21:14
Re: Female Platy not eating and swimming aimlessly #6
Also I'm thinking euthanasia might be on the cards very soon...

The instructions say to use clear grain alcohol such as Vodka...does it have to be Vodka? I've only got Whisky...

If it's best to use Vodka I will get some tomorrow

Chris
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 7/11 21:57
Re: Female Platy not eating and swimming aimlessly #7
You don't actually need the alcohol. Though that set of instructions includes it, the overdose of clove oil will be enough to do the job. Just monitor the fish still in water for a couple of hours after you think shes died and if you see any gill movement add more clove oil.

Yes, put a perforated lid on the snail container, just to be safe.
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 10/11 8:44
Re: Female Platy not eating and swimming aimlessly #8
Got the esha2000 today, my regular water change is tomorrow, should I wait until after the water change before treating, or just start the dose now and continue the dosage as per instructions even after the water change? I couldn't see anything stating this in the information leaflet!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 10/11 12:52
Re: Female Platy not eating and swimming aimlessly #9
Wait until after the water change. What conditioner do you use? Some affect the efficiency of the medication (typically any with a slime coat enhancer, aloe vera etc added).
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 10/11 14:19
Re: Female Platy not eating and swimming aimlessly #10
Ok thanks. She is still swimming into plants just now, maybe another day or so will be fine!

I use Seachem Prime and LoveFish Filter Boost (soon to be using Seachem Stability in place of filter boost)