« 1 (2)
helptoall helptoall
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 6/10 10:32
Re: Goldfish help! swelled #11
after researching some more i saw that alot of diffrent parasite can cause the ame symptoms as flukes..costia,trichondina and chilodonella.. Should i start treating for those parasites? What treatment would you reccomend? also i read that salt can help with them but didnt found a dosage.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 6/10 18:14
Re: Goldfish help! swelled #12
Quote:
helptoall wrote:
Im alo thinking wether or not i should quarntine him,the cons mostly are the stress factor for him,when he has such and hard time breathing i think even a little stress can be very bad.

I definitely don't think you should be putting all these meds into the main tank and treating all fish with them - if you need to medicate, and medication should only be used sparingly, then best to quarantine the fish needing treated so that other fish aren't exposed unnecessarily to medication (stressful for them all) and potentially multiple medications (even more stressful for them all).

As you know from Fishlady, your tank is very overstocked, so water quality is going to be impaired (only ammonia, nitrate and nitrite can be tested with home-based testing kits which can't measure other crucial aspects such as fish stress hormones, etc) and this water impairment in turn is likely to cause all sorts of problems. Is there any possibility of being able to get additional tanks and filters for the others to try to mitigate this? Consequently, this will reduce the likelihood of the fish becoming ill repeatedly.
helptoall helptoall
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 6/10 22:13
Re: Goldfish help! swelled #13
This tank is a temporary tank,it for small goldfish we resucue to get a bit bigger before we move them to a pond, im not sure how severe the overstocking is since most of them are small 5-7 centimeter. i increased the amout of water chnages and the minute we solve the current situation ill move the few bigger ones to a pond. what do you mean by "all those meds"? im asking right now about a salt treatment and specific med treatment for parasites, which are in the tank and on the other fish,,so treating only this fish wont solve this.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/10 13:25
Re: Goldfish help! swelled #14
Quote:

helptoall wrote:
im not sure how severe the overstocking is since most of them are small 5-7 centimeter.

what do you mean by "all those meds"?

You might find these articles helpful:
https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... -size-life-expectancy.htm
http://injaf.org/aquarium-fish/the-go ... t-size-tank-for-goldfish/

As for meds, in the past 5 weeks, your tank has had Kanaplex (6/9 post), Levamisole HCL (11/9 post), Gyrodol JBL / praziquantel and mention of "metro treatment" (4/10). The crucial matter is to keep water quality optimum which in turn ought to result in fewer problems. An overstocked tank is likely to impair water quality which in turn will result in these back-to-back problems and thus back-to-back medications in an effort to address them. Addressing issues of overstocking and ensuring that water is in optimum condition at all times ought to help the problems resolve and reduce the chance of recurrence, as well as minimise stress on the fish - and from being subject to numerous medications in short timeframes which in itself will cause problems and stress. Hope that clarification is helpful.

While I admire your intentions through rescuing the fish and ultimately intending to give them a better life in the pond, I think you need to concentrate on attempting to improve the conditions of the ones you already have before taking any more on. Daily water changes of ~20% (or even up to 50%) might be a way of doing this. Alternatively, using large plastic storage containers with filters in them, and having several in each, might help with this - and doing daily water changes on them too. Hope this is a useful suggestion.
helptoall helptoall
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 10/10 21:23
Re: Goldfish help! swelled #15
Quote:

fcmf wrote:
Quote:

helptoall wrote:
im not sure how severe the overstocking is since most of them are small 5-7 centimeter.

what do you mean by "all those meds"?

You might find these articles helpful:
https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... -size-life-expectancy.htm
http://injaf.org/aquarium-fish/the-go ... t-size-tank-for-goldfish/

As for meds, in the past 5 weeks, your tank has had Kanaplex (6/9 post), Levamisole HCL (11/9 post), Gyrodol JBL / praziquantel and mention of "metro treatment" (4/10). The crucial matter is to keep water quality optimum which in turn ought to result in fewer problems. An overstocked tank is likely to impair water quality which in turn will result in these back-to-back problems and thus back-to-back medications in an effort to address them. Addressing issues of overstocking and ensuring that water is in optimum condition at all times ought to help the problems resolve and reduce the chance of recurrence, as well as minimise stress on the fish - and from being subject to numerous medications in short timeframes which in itself will cause problems and stress. Hope that clarification is helpful.

While I admire your intentions through rescuing the fish and ultimately intending to give them a better life in the pond, I think you need to concentrate on attempting to improve the conditions of the ones you already have before taking any more on. Daily water changes of ~20% (or even up to 50%) might be a way of doing this. Alternatively, using large plastic storage containers with filters in them, and having several in each, might help with this - and doing daily water changes on them too. Hope this is a useful suggestion.

Im doing WC and ive stopped recieving more fish untill will get things work better here. will move soon part of the fish to the pond. however im still on this case The bloated fish is bloated for about 5 weeks now. Today he lost a big bunche of scales in one of his sides{idk how} so i decided to quarantee her and to try more to treat her with meds. I would happy to hear any ideas about the source of the problem and for treatments. about a week after she first started to bloat i treated the tank with kanamycin and then fast and then metro&praziquantel and then epsom salt in food, all with no improvment. during thi time she is was slowly bloating more and more, she is active and has appetite and poop some of the time white and some of the time normal poop. she is now isolated since today in a 20 L tank with air stone and a amall internal filter. she was originally in a 450L tank with 20 other goldfish being the biggest one{ about 15 centimeter} water p are 0,0,20 in the main tank.