222Biggles 222Biggles
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 12/8/2011 16:18
Biorb life Ceramic media... is it a death trap for my fish? #1
Hi all, and just to let you know I'm new to this forum and fish keeping! I have a gorgeous Bi orb Life 45 ltr and have slowly introduced a few neon tetras and today some guppies. My question is this, 2 neons have trapped themselves in the ceramic media within the last couple of months, and within a few minutes of introducing him to the tank..one of my guppies got stuck too! I've followed the instructions to the letter.. could I maybe cover the media with a little gravel just to fill in some of the gaps or would that affect the balance as i understand well the filtration on these tanks and need for a well cycled tank...

Thanks all... hope I didn't ramble!!
Fizz Fizz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 12/8/2011 16:27
Re: Biorb life Ceramic media... is it a death trap for my fish? #2
Hey 222Biggles (great name btw)

Welcome to the FK forum!

Having had a bi-orb in the past I know that the media is specifically designed because the water has to be able to flow through it to get to the filter at the bottom. So I don't think adding gravel would be a good idea.

Can you explain how they get stuck? It's a bit peculiar! And were the neons ok when you freed them?

Also, if you could share a little about how long the tanks been set up, how many fishies and some water readings. It might not be the media that's the problem - I haven't heard of this problem before.

Sorry, not a great answer, but give us some more info about your set up and perhaps someone else might have a few ideas.

Fizz
Fizz Fizz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 12/8/2011 16:30
Re: Biorb life Ceramic media... is it a death trap for my fish? #3
I forgot to add that when I had a Bi-orb it didn't include any info about cycling the tank or water changes. So whilst you might have followed the instructions to the letter (as any well-meaning and sensible person would), I seem to remember that (with hindsight!) the instructions were a bit rubbish.

So please feel free to ask as many questions as you need!

First and foremost check the water quality - always an issue with new tanks (it sounds new?). Readings for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate, and also Ph and water hardness would be helpful.
Right, sorry to go on!
Fizz
Fizz Fizz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 12/8/2011 16:40
Re: Biorb life Ceramic media... is it a death trap for my fish? #4
Sorry to bombard you!

I just had a thought....

You have two options.

One is to add an additional internal filter and once this is mature you could remove the ceramic media and put some nice rounded gravel/stones down instead. Not sure how easy it would be to add an internal to the Bi-orb?

Or you could add something like one of the sintered glass types of media such as Eheims Ehfisubstrat pro.It's rounded so nothing could get trapped in it.

You would want to add the new media gradually and remove the ceramic media a bit at time because you don't want to lose all your bacteria.

Hope this helps.

Fizz
AliBunn AliBunn
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Norfolk
  • Posted on: 12/8/2011 18:18
Re: Biorb life Ceramic media... is it a death trap for my fish? #5
I've read elsewhere of people putting a piece of mesh (similar to tank dividers) over the ceramic media as it doesn't restrict the water flow and little fishies can't get through! You could use something like this and cut it to size?
jaspersdad jaspersdad
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Group: Deep End Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 12/8/2011 18:22
Re: Biorb life Ceramic media... is it a death trap for my fish? #6
Ali, you read my mind

JON
Original Image
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: FK Supporter Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 12/8/2011 18:30
Re: Biorb life Ceramic media... is it a death trap for my fish? #7
My first ever tank was a biorb and I lost two WCMM because of getting trapped

Little fish like to wriggle through, their after dropped food through the gaps I suspect, and that, together with problems with ammonia (that trapped food, again!) and finding FK led to an upgrade to a traditional and much larger rectangular tank. Never looked back truthfully.

Little fish can swim down the bubble tube too Biorb has a air tube adapter that fit's over the top - mesh design again - but this doesn't come automatically with the bowls.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
222Biggles 222Biggles
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 13/8/2011 1:14
Re: Biorb life Ceramic media... is it a death trap for my fish? #8
Thanks all... They are definitely getting trapped as opposed to anything else, and, as mentioned I think it is the rummaging for food that does it! The mesh idea sounds good, will look into that.. Thanks all,and any more tips for this newbie are more than welcome!
Giraffe24 Giraffe24
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 8/10 7:20
Re: Biorb life Ceramic media... is it a death trap for my fish? #9
Hi all, I've joined this forum as I am having problems with one particular guppy in my bio orb tank. He is trying his best to kill himself. In 2 days I have found him 4 times at the bottom of the tank under the media! Do you think he's following the water circulation? And what can I do?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/10 8:42
Re: Biorb life Ceramic media... is it a death trap for my fish? #10
Can you give us more details please?

What size Biorb?
How long has it been set up?
What fish are in there?
Test results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate
Is your water hard or soft?