Fishyfishfish Fishyfishfish
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 5/10 15:25
Recurring 0.25 ammonia help needed please... #1
The subject sums it up really, I've gone from having 6 cherry barbs, 4 platys and a danio to 3 cherry barbs, 3 platys and the danio and it looks like another cherry barb is now starting to suffer.

The only thing I can think that I did wrong is I forgot to add Prime to one of the buckets before starting to add the water into the tank. I added about a quarter of the bucket before I realised my mistake, then I added the Prime. Is that enough to hurt the good bacteria in the tank?

I had an ammonia spike previously after losing a platy fry that we somehow lost; eventually I managed to remove the remains after frantically cleaning the gravel for a few days.

Other than water changes what options do I have? The dodgy water change was done last Sunday, if the cycle has been affected what can I do to halt the damage to my fish?
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 6/10 7:47
Re: Recurring 0.25 ammonia help needed please... #2
Anyone?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 6/10 11:17
Re: Recurring 0.25 ammonia help needed please... #3
If you're using the API liquid tests, their ammonia test can show a false 0.25. Check against your tap water to see if that's the case. As for dealing with spikes, water changes daily and using a double dose of Prime in the new water will help protect your fish from the effects of both ammonia and nitrite.

There's a full article here on what to do in the event of ammonia and/or nitrite spikes:

https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... ammonia-nitrite-spike.htm
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 7/10 15:18
Re: Recurring 0.25 ammonia help needed please... #4
I checked the tap water against the tank water this morning and both were definitely at 0 for ammonia, so I’m not sure if the test result yesterday was a false positive or not.

The fish have been suffering so I believe the result was probably accurate. I will keep testing the water daily and hopefully, if any good bacteria was harmed, it has now recovered.