(1) 2 »
helptoall helptoall
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 6/9 22:54
Goldfish help! swelled #1
Hi, last saturday one of the golfish in the tank got inflated. I tried to take pics but theyarent good.. He is behaving normally and dosent show nay other signs, active and eating and he's scales are normal as well and he also has one red patch on the bottom of his belly. I started treatment for the whole tank 2 days after it started with kanaplex assuming this is some kind of bacterial infection. So far no improvment. I really appreciate any advice or ideas to ehat is this and how to treat,thank you!
Tank info: 450L with 22 small to medium{15 cm largest} goldfish, parameters are 0,0,70
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 7/9 13:24
Re: Goldfish help! swelled #2
I suspect this is due to the high nitrate level in the tank. For goldfish, it's advisable to maintain nitrates below 20ppm. You need to do several large water changes to get that down but may struggle to maintain a low enough level as the tank is extremely overstocked. For a 450 litre tank, the maximum number of goldfish that can live healthily is around 6 if they are single tail varieties or 8 for fancies.
helptoall helptoall
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 11/9 19:28
Re: Goldfish help! swelled #3
Hi thanks for your respond. The current update- Ive did some water changes and treated with kanaplex and levamisol HCL. its been4 days since i finished the kanaplex treatment and 1 week since the levamisole dose and 10 days since the fish started to look bloated. There is no improvment ,however for all this time the fish is active, swimming and eating. I also didnt feed the tank for 4 days and today started giving peas. Any new ideas? there is no scale pertruding at all, dosent look like dropsy.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 12/9 18:46
Re: Goldfish help! swelled #4
A lot of people find Epsom salt dips helpful for bloating, so this might be very well worth a try; you'd need to move the fish into another tank/container to do this, then return him to the main tank.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/saltusefwartneale.htm - see the section on Epsom salt further down the page.
helptoall helptoall
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 21/9 20:37
Re: Goldfish help! swelled #5
The fish is the same . its been over 2 weeks. She is eating and acting normal but she is very bloated and her feces are white . for the last 3 days all the fish have pooped white and long poop. one of them seems lethargic and when i feed he eats but after a minute he spit the food out. Im very worried , i think i have an out break of something. I treated the tank with kanaplex about 10 days ago and with levamisole. Do you have ideas what is this? TY
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 22/9 8:59
Re: Goldfish help! swelled #6
I really do think the problem here is the overstocking of the tank and high nitrate level. There's a lot of evidence that suggests high nitrate is an issue for goldfish. They may also be constipated, but that is made worse by high nitrate. Try feeding daphnia which should get things moving, but seriously look to reducing the stock down to an acceptable level and in the meantime up the water changes to get that nitrate at least to below 40ppm (ideally below 20ppm).
helptoall helptoall
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 22/9 22:52
Re: Goldfish help! swelled #7
Its down to 20. and i will move some of the fish to a pond ,but i want to treat them. What is daphnia?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 23/9 9:29
Re: Goldfish help! swelled #8
Live food https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daphnia You can also buy it frozen.
helptoall helptoall
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 23/9 23:45
Re: Goldfish help! swelled #9
I think its more then feeding treatment. ive already fasted them for 5 days and then fed with peas.. i think i need a med treatment for the parasites
helptoall helptoall
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 4/10 19:42
Re: Goldfish help! swelled #10
Hi, yesterday one of the goldfish has started to show signs of breathing distress,hanging on the top of the tank breathing very fast with his mouth open. i also saw him scratching on the glass a few times,he also dosent eat.its the same goldfish that was lethargic a few days ago.Assuming its gill flukes I treated with Gyrodol by JBL {praziquantel} yesterday and there isnt any imrovment for now.How much time do you think it supposed to take till imrovmrnt shows? Do you think i should try other meds ot treatments{like salt}? Do ou think it might be something else besides gill flukes?There was an overall improvment in the tank after the metro treatment with more healthy poop,however the bloated one is still bloated and this fish is still pooping white poop. i atrted yesterday with the epsom salt treatment with the food. Im alo thinking wether or not i should quarntine him,the cons mostly are the stress factor for him,when he has such and hard time breathing i think even a little stress can be very bad.
another thing is ther treatment routine of the Gyrodol,The med saying to treat the tank once{dosgae is 10ml which is 15mg of prazi for 50 L} then wait 48 hours then water change 50% and the reapeat after 7 days,i know there are other protocols and dosages with prazi, do you reccomend something else? Thank you