helptoall helptoall
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 6/9 22:54
Goldfish help! swelled #1
Hi, last saturday one of the golfish in the tank got inflated. I tried to take pics but theyarent good.. He is behaving normally and dosent show nay other signs, active and eating and he's scales are normal as well and he also has one red patch on the bottom of his belly. I started treatment for the whole tank 2 days after it started with kanaplex assuming this is some kind of bacterial infection. So far no improvment. I really appreciate any advice or ideas to ehat is this and how to treat,thank you!
Tank info: 450L with 22 small to medium{15 cm largest} goldfish, parameters are 0,0,70
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 7/9 13:24
Re: Goldfish help! swelled #2
I suspect this is due to the high nitrate level in the tank. For goldfish, it's advisable to maintain nitrates below 20ppm. You need to do several large water changes to get that down but may struggle to maintain a low enough level as the tank is extremely overstocked. For a 450 litre tank, the maximum number of goldfish that can live healthily is around 6 if they are single tail varieties or 8 for fancies.
helptoall helptoall
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 11/9 19:28
Re: Goldfish help! swelled #3
Hi thanks for your respond. The current update- Ive did some water changes and treated with kanaplex and levamisol HCL. its been4 days since i finished the kanaplex treatment and 1 week since the levamisole dose and 10 days since the fish started to look bloated. There is no improvment ,however for all this time the fish is active, swimming and eating. I also didnt feed the tank for 4 days and today started giving peas. Any new ideas? there is no scale pertruding at all, dosent look like dropsy.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 12/9 18:46
Re: Goldfish help! swelled #4
A lot of people find Epsom salt dips helpful for bloating, so this might be very well worth a try; you'd need to move the fish into another tank/container to do this, then return him to the main tank.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/saltusefwartneale.htm - see the section on Epsom salt further down the page.