SamJDF SamJDF
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 25/8/2018 17:31
Goldfish at bottom of tank not moving? #1
Hello!

Some of you might remember me, finally got my tank sorted! (ages ago) and my Black Moor all healthy!

I recently added a new fish to the tank, a week ago, a day or two after added the new fish, all my fish unfortunately had ich, I assume passed from the new fish,

I was doing medicine (Esha) but then had to go on holiday, the day I went on holiday the new fish was sitting at the bottom of the tank, I went to put my hand in and he moved, all good,

whilst ive been away my housemates have looked after the fish but said the new fish wasnt looking too good,

Ive just come back and theyer all seemingly clear of ich now thanks to the medicine but the new fish continues to sit at the bottom, it moves its head from time to time but doesnt even try swim, it is breathing though,

i got it in my hand (in the water) and it didnt even try swim off, i hand fed the fish bloodworms and flakes, it ate them all fine but just wont swim or even try,

I am not sure of the nitrate etc levels and cant check for a while, but all the other fish are fine, it is just this new one

5 tiny fan tail goldfish (about the size of my thumb? all different looking too) in a 300L fish tank,

How can I help this poor fish? after hand feeding him i placed him back down gently and he still hasnt moved other than when fish swim by and it moves him a bit, please help!
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 25/8/2018 22:21
Re: Goldfish at bottom of tank not moving? #2
It is really crucial that you have liquid-based test kits that you can keep an eye on ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels on a frequent basis and especially if there are signs that something is awry such as in this case. For example, it's possible that it could be the result of the build-up of ammonia, nitrite or nitrates over time (they may have been high for some time) or it could be that one of these has suddenly increased.

Therefore, the best course of action you can take until you do get yourself such test kits is to do larger and more frequent water changes with dechlorinated water than you usually do - perhaps 40% on alternate days, rather than 25% once a week, for example.

Hope that helps the situation. Best of luck.
SamJDF SamJDF
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 25/8/2018 22:33
Re: Goldfish at bottom of tank not moving? #3
Well here is my theory, when I bought the new fish he was in a tank with fish much bigger than him and the tank he was supposed to be on was covered with a sign saying " all fish in this tank are currently not for sale ",
So I think that they accidentally sold me one of the ill fish, because when adding him to the tank it gave all my other fish ich,

I managed to feed hand feed him but ive just come upstairs to check and unfortunately he has passed away, very frustrating as all the other fish got better from the medicine, I think it is the shops fault for accidentally selling me an ill fish but it is sad to me i couldnt help
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 26/8/2018 8:43
Re: Goldfish at bottom of tank not moving? #4
Sorry to read about that.

This article https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... ishkeeping_quarantine.htm is definitely worth a read. Even if you don't have a quarantine/spare tank, a large Really Useful Box would suffice.

Additionally, introducing new fish to the tank (even if in perfect health) will put a strain on the filter as the filter media only has sufficient beneficial bacteria to process the waste/ammonia of the existing fish. That excess ammonia impairs water quality which in turn results in fish becoming ill. Many pathogens and potential for illness are present in a tank but only when water quality deteriorates do the fish actually fall sick.