Shubunkin72 Shubunkin72
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Devon
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/8 12:13
Fish darting, scratching and fin flicking... #1
Hi, I posted a couple of months ago about this issue. I'd recently bought a new fish and it was suggested I treat for gill flukes, which I did. I contacted the company that made the medication and was advised by one of their chemists to double dose for 12 days. I did this and it made no difference. I left it for a week and then treated for bacterial infection as advised to do following the other meds.
It's now over a month later and they are still scratching, darting about and flicking their fins. They still have no obvious signs of disease, no red streaks or ragged fins. No clamped fins or gasping. Their gills look fine, they have no white spots or any other tell tale sign...they look happy and healthy other than the scratching.
I test the water every few days and it is always 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and is always between 10-20 nitrates. After adding coral to the filter I now have a nice steady pH of 7.6. And GH is 8°d, KH is 6°d.
I recently tried a King British disease clear, and then Interpet disease treatment...both did nothing. I hate to keep trying different medications, but I have no idea what is wrong with them.
I even bought new test kits to check my results and I get the same readings (API and Pondlab liquid tests). I've always used the same water conditioner, so I can't imagine that would be a problem. They have a 30% water change every week with a good gravel clean, and once a month I like to change 50% of the water just to give it a good clean...although their water is always clear and smells earthy rather than nasty. They have a varied diet of Hikari pellets, dried daphnia and bloodworm, peas, spinach, broccoli and cucumber, plenty of plants to swim about in and eat, a constant temperature of 22°C in the summer (I slowly drop it down to 18°C in the winter). They are very active, friendly fish. They love being hand fed and they do that cute wiggle when I walk through the door and they see me...but this is worrying me and I really want to help them. Any other ideas?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 4/8 15:03
Re: Fish darting, scratching and fin flicking... #2
From everything you've said, you're taking extremely good care of them and having tried various medications have covered all the bases. To be honest, if it's just occasional flicking I wouldn't worry about it. It could be as simple as removing an irritating grain of sand from under a scale or just playfulness.
Shubunkin72 Shubunkin72
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Devon
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 5/8 0:53
Re: Fish darting, scratching and fin flicking... #3
Hi, thank you for your reply. I was hoping it was just something they'd stop doing, but they're scratching at least once every hour, so sadly it's not just occasionally. I'm glad you think I'm taking good care of them, as I really do try to keep them happy and healthy, so that makes me feel a little better.
I guess I'll just keep an eye on them and see if they get any worse, although I'm hoping it will soon stop and go back to normal as they have me really worried about them.
Thanks again :)