Louise910 Louise910
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 27/7/2018 21:50
Advice needed about 3 tiny young carp sharing pond with 13 year old carp-feeding problem #1
Hi just looking for advice on what could be a problem with our pond. On Monday we bought three lovely tiny young carp as over the weekend we had sadly lost one of our two 13 year old carp to a bird attack leaving our other poor fish alone.
All seemed OK but over the last few days I have spotted that the young fish seem to be gulping all the food before our older fish gets to eat.
Was it a mistake to mix older fish with young?
Will the young overfeed if I put more in for the older fish after they have came to pond surface and cleaned the first feed?

Advice needed thanks
☺️
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 27/7/2018 22:17
Re: Advice needed about 3 tiny young carp sharing pond with 13 year old carp-feeding problem #2
The young ones may eat more than they should if you feed extra. Maybe you could split the feed over two areas of the pond - once the youngsters are feeding in one area, add the rest of the food a bit away from them for the older chap.
Louise910 Louise910
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 27/7/2018 22:35
Re: Advice needed about 3 tiny young carp sharing pond with 13 year old carp-feeding problem #3
Thanks - will try that
πŸ™‚
Louise910 Louise910
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 29/7/2018 20:24
Re: Advice needed about 3 tiny young carp sharing pond with 13 year old carp-feeding problem #4
Well I tried your good idea Fishlady and I could see our older fish feeding with the youngsters - but the youngsters are so much faster scampering around the pond.
What I found was the pond sticks all end up moving with the water movement so the young ones are finding the food set apart.

I think our older fish is feeding but I'm still concerned he is not getting enough food. It's not helping that I can only see what is going on from our upstairs window because the older fish does not come up if anyone is near the pond.
The older fish really does seem fine and well so maybe I worry unnecessarily? πŸ™‚
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 29/7/2018 20:46
Re: Advice needed about 3 tiny young carp sharing pond with 13 year old carp-feeding problem #5
If he seems well and is getting at least some food I think you can stop worrying, especially if he doesn't appear to be losing weight. Chances are he'll get enough
Louise910 Louise910
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 29/7/2018 20:53
Re: Advice needed about 3 tiny young carp sharing pond with 13 year old carp-feeding problem #6
Yep I will just keep an eye out and as long as he is swimming around the food hopefully all is well. Thanks for your help πŸ™‚