ilovefish22 ilovefish22
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Midlothian
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 10/7 21:13
3 year old platy is swimming strangely #1
I have a 70 litre cold water tank. I have five platy and one hong kong plec.
My oldest platy has always been fine but is now started swimming like she has no buoyancy, almost like she is swimming against a fast current.
she is eating ok but tends to hide away in the plants as otherwise she tends to float about the tank. She is my biggest oldest fish and none of the others appear to bully her.
my water perimeter are fine , I do add aquarium salt every second water change - could this be the cause of her swimming like this ? I don't want her to be in distress.
can anyone advise what this is and how I can help her ?
thanks
I have tried to take a video but it is too large for upload
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 11/7 8:08
Re: 3 year old platy is swimming strangely #2
So we can help, can you please post test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and gH? Discontinue the salt, it is of no use to freshwater fish and potentially harmful (can cause the symptoms you're seeing).
ilovefish22 ilovefish22
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Midlothian
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 11/7 19:45
Re: 3 year old platy is swimming strangely #3
Thank you so much for your reply. I am sorry but I don't have the results as I take a sample to pet store and they dip test it. On Sunday they said that my water was fine.
I just did another routine water change yesterday but I added some salt. should I do another water change tomorrow to reduce the level of salt ? I tend to add half of what the packet recommends anyway so it should not be too strong. Also I changed the filter cartridges pads within the filter but I added a biological enhancer. The filter that I use is interpet internal cartridge filter. It says that it is for tanks 69-160 litres, mine is 70litres but I do have two ornaments/ hiding places and stones. Could the filter be too strong for her ? I thought that the bigger one would keep the water cleaner for them.
Thank you again
Liz
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 12/7 8:02
Re: 3 year old platy is swimming strangely #4
No, the filter won't be too strong. The problem is changing the pads - you have thrown out all the beneficial bacteria that process fish waste so the tank is no longer cycled and there will be ammonia and /or nitrite in the water. You need your own test kit to test daily for ammonia and nitrite until the tank is cycled again and will need to do a large water change whenever either is present. Filter media shouldn't be changed, just rinsed in tank water on water change day so that this doesn't happen again.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 14/7 16:34
Re: 3 year old platy is swimming strangely #5
Just to add to the helpful advice already given, it's best and more accurate if you buy a liquid-based test kit such as the API Master test kit - more accurate than test strips and the all-in-one test strips actually don't include the crucial test of ammonia (while the test strip for ammonia is notoriously difficult to read).