Fishiemummy97 Fishiemummy97
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 7/10 17:38
Black Moor Tail split #1
Hi, is it normal for a baby black moor to have a split in his tailfin? I just got him and two other fantails yesterday and I’ve checked photos, it definitely was not split last night 😔 will my wee man be okay? 😢
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 7/10 17:56
Re: Black Moor Tail split #2
If it wasn't split before then no it's not normal. It sounds like he's damaged it somehow, maybe on tank ornaments? Remove anything he may have caught himself on, make sure the water is kept very clean and hopefully it will heal by itself over a week or two.
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 7/10 20:41
Re: Black Moor Tail split #3
All I have in the tank is a couple plants and the filter and the plants are too soft to cause that damage, so I’m wondering if he caught it on the filter? I moved it to the middle of the back wall of the tank as opposed to in the corner as he has a habit of swimming up into the corners and he seems to have stayed away from it. In terms of keeping the water very clean are we talking daily cleaning?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 7/11 8:09
Re: Black Moor Tail split #4
This partly depends on tank size so what size is the tank and how many fish are in it please?
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 7/11 11:10
Re: Black Moor Tail split #5
It’s a 25litre tank with three baby fantails, each one is only an inch long 😍
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 7/11 15:04
Re: Black Moor Tail split #6
Oh dear I'm sorry but 25 litres isn't enough to keep fish in. A tank that small is only suitable for shrimps or snails. It's possible that due to the small size of the tank your fish has fin rot from poor water quality. Do you have test results please for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

In the meantime please read this article about the size of tank needed for goldfish as you need to upgrade to a much bigger tank (around 200 litres) asap: https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... -size-life-expectancy.htm