rosebud2018 rosebud2018
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 7/6 17:19
Amonia Issue #1
We've had two mollies recently give birth to lots of babies, and sadly both died afterwards. Before they died, I had a nitrate issue which i was dealing with , and had got it down (now sits at 5 :) ) but when i tested yesterday I noticed that amonia was 0.5 ,

I did a 50% water change today , hoovered everything, cleaned everything. Added 4 shrimp and retested - water is still cloudy atm , presume settling after putting the new water in,And I retested, and I think it's 0.25 , whereeas before the mollies died I had zero amonia and and a nitrate issue.

But now that's fixed , amonia is my demon. Can anyone help - suggest?

One molly I took out literally moments as she died as we put her in a jug for a while to see if she was alive, the other died at some point in the night and was fished out the next morning.

Water parameters are
amonia 0.25
nitrite 0
nitrate 5
ph 7.5

Many thanks

xxx
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 7/6 21:10
Re: Amonia Issue #2
Is this the API liquid test? Sometimes it shows an apparent 0.25 when there's none present. To check, test a sample of your tap water. If it shows the same colour then the water in the tank is almost certainly OK.
rosebud2018 rosebud2018
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 8/6 8:10
Re: Amonia Issue #3
Thanks. Yes it is a liquid test and I shake each bottle before adding the drops.

I reteested it this morning , did one from the tap and one from the tank.

Both exactly the same colour , yellow - so either it's fixed itself :) or it was as you said a false reading. (I didn't realise they could do that).

We have our final fish now a male halfmoon betta who was being bullied in a friends tank. He's a very placid betta and is getting along well with the tetras, mollies and gourami we have. and is compeltely ignuoring the fry :) .

Thanks for your help again xxxx

R
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/6 9:21
Re: Amonia Issue #4
Hopefully, it will be plain sailing from now on for you. Keep an eye on the Betta in case the tetras nip at his fins. They probably won't, but some do.
rosebud2018 rosebud2018
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 8/6 18:05
Re: Amonia Issue #5
they seem to be staying away from him. Fingers crossed. I found somewhere that said good tank mates and the ones we have were on the list . I've given him a betta hammock today , so hopefully he has somewhere up out the way too .

thanks for the help. x

have more q's but will ask them in the right forums ;0