Chrisosaurus Chrisosaurus
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 30/5/2018 18:20
Orange sunkist shrimp baby...how? #1
Hello,

I have spotted a single baby shrimp in my freshwater setup...and this is alarming/interesting because I've read they need brackish water in order to hatch & survive...
Is that actually the case, or is it just less likely that they'd survive in a non-brackish environment?

Thanks,
Chris
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 31/5/2018 18:48
Re: Orange sunkist shrimp baby...how? #2
It depends on what species of shrimp you have. Some are entirely freshwater, some salt water and some freshwater but have a brackish/saltwater larval stage. The shrimps you have are a variety of cherry shrimp and are entirely freshwater. They usually breed quite prolifically
Chrisosaurus Chrisosaurus
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 31/5/2018 21:30
Re: Orange sunkist shrimp baby...how? #3
That's interesting...I've seen the female shrimp pregnant before, but never spotted any babies...could it be that the adult platies ate the young baby shrimp, or could they have been munched up in the filter?

I can see a lot of egg-like objects on my plants, assuming it's eggs from these guys!
I've got a few Nerite Snails too so it could be eggs from them...hoping it's the shrimp!

Thanks for your reply!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 1/6/2018 12:37
Re: Orange sunkist shrimp baby...how? #4
The eggs stay on the shrimps until they hatch into baby shrimps so the eggs you're seeing in the tank are more likely to be from the snails.

The chances are that most of the babies are being eaten by your platies.