nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/5/2018 15:18
Discuss never successful bred in community? #1
Hi.

I've a pair of discus that had been laying egg many many times in my tank but never successful, They always lay egg at the same spot but the furthest they ever got was a bunch of free swimmer swimming around them for 1-2 days and they're all gone.

The tank has only tetras and corydas and 3 or discus (5 in total)

I want to try seeing them raising children but moving them is really a pain as they hide so well and they already have their favorite spot

Is there anyway to help them successfully raise young discus?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 17/5/2018 18:21
Re: Discuss never successful bred in community? #2
It's not going to happen with other fish in the tank. Either the other fish will get the fry or the parents will eat them rather than let the other fish have them. To see them raise fry successfully they need a tank on their own.
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 17/5/2018 18:50
Re: Discuss never successful bred in community? #3
Would moving the fish stress them much? Right now catching them is not even going to be easy.

Maybe I should just let them be.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 17/5/2018 20:55
Re: Discuss never successful bred in community? #4
They may take a while to settle and spawn again after a move. The other possible option would be a divider in the tank with the pair on one side and everyone else on the other.
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 23/5/2018 6:11
Re: Discuss never successful bred in community? #5
Tank divider sounds like a smart idea!!!

Do you think something like a net divider would work?

I will figure out something with the divider idea but it wll be hard since my set up consists of one big branch of wood run the whole lenght of the tank
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 23/5/2018 9:47
Re: Discuss never successful bred in community? #6
Not net as such, but something like this would work (in the right size of course!).
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fish-Tank-D ... m:m4-nxLMl4v_4ZtB2K6C3oiA
alysonpeaches alysonpeaches
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 25/5/2018 21:31
Re: Discuss never successful bred in community? #7
Discus are notoriously difficult to keep, and sulk if you dont keep the water absolutely spot on. I have kept discus, for about a year. I have successfully bred many fish including angels, and we did get to wrigglers with the discus, then woke up in the morning and they had gone several times. This wasnt a community tank, but there was more than one pair of discus in a large planted tank. I gave my discus to another breeder as I found them very high maintenance. I felt that to succeed I needed to go over to RO completely, and just keep a tank with a pair in. I actually didnt set out to breed them, they were more of a display feature and came as part of a tank I bought from a retiring breeder, but I gave them up as I just found them too picky and miserable.
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 26/5/2018 5:11
Re: Discuss never successful bred in community? #8
@Fishlady:
yes yes that's what I meant but I had no idea what it is called :P
Anyway I will give it a try. My discus are literally laying eggs weekly now since it's raining season.

@Alysonpeaches:
Honestly I don't find them that hard to keep even though I know that they are famous for being picky.
I kept my tank basically outdoor and it takes all the rain water. I mostly only do water changes during dry season.
The lesson I learned when I first started (I did lost some fish) is that make sure you de-worm them and give them proper treatment to avoid long term healthy issue. And give them a big enough tank because they will grow fast.
After those lessons, I never lost any discus again!! (Well I did lost 1 more but it was due to jumping :( ). In my community tank, Cardinal tetra, GBRam casualty number is higher than anything else. Never found out why they died though...

I really believe that as long as you understand, do your homework and be gentle. All fish is fine. The biggest killer of discus is stress I think.
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 25/7/2018 3:26
Re: Discuss never successful bred in community? #9
Some updates FYI.

I didn't have time to set up the tank divider but after countless time they lay eggs. They finally managed to keep their fries alive!!!

For now I have managed to counted 5 discus babies with size of 05-1 cm now. I found 1 dead baby fish at the size too (Don't know why)

Though the number is not big but they finally mnage to do it by themselves. The babies are freely swimming and hunting for food now but they still mostly swim near parents.