Rachitch Rachitch
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 9/5 12:06
Goldfish has food stuck #1
I have read that goldfish need vegetables in their diet so tried giving my fish some lettuce however one of them now has a large chunk of lettuce stuck in its mouth :(

it’s almost like it’s stuck on the top of the roof of his lip he can open and close the mouth fine and doesn’t look like he is choking just more of an annoyance.

I’ve tried to see if feeding him his usual flakes will help dislodge it but he eats the flakes and the leaf is still there !

Shall I just leave it ? will it dislodge by his own means or do I need to intervene with tweezers and try and get it out I’m worried doing the latter will cause more harm than good given he flaps about a lot in a net.

Has anyone else had this experience it’s put me off feeding them veg now and was only trying to give them a healthier diet !
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 9/5 18:05
Re: Goldfish has food stuck #2
You're correct in that goldfish do need veg in their diet. However, it ought to be chopped small enough to avoid any potential choking hazards eg: even a pea, once the shell is removed, ought to have the two halves cut into smaller morsels; other veg should be shredded really finely. Hopefully that helps for the future.

As for the current situation, do you have a substrate in the tank? From my own experience, the goldfish will pick up pieces of gravel/sand while foraging and use it to try to dislodge whatever is stuck in their mouths/throats if it's bothering them. Do you have pellets as well as flakes? Goldfish pellets are good generally, especially sinking ones which mean that the goldfish is less likely to take in air when it feeds, and might well help with the current situation too, perhaps by the hardish surface of a pellet helping break up the lettuce.

Hopefully the lettuce will soften and dislodge of its own accord in time or else be broken up as described above. If the goldfish is showing signs of distress, then that may be the time to intervene with tweezers - but, as you say, it has the potential to cause more harm than good. [Having said that, I did have to resort to them once to remove a stone from my goldfish's throat - just as I was about to do so, clink and out popped the stone and hit the glass of the tank, thank goodness.]

Best of luck.
Rachitch Rachitch
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 10/5 0:20
Re: Goldfish has food stuck #3
Thank you for the advice

So things turnt for the worst and he was curled up in one of the plants looking very poorly so I had to intervene.

Managed to get it out and it was huge it didn’t look like that much when he was swimming around and now I feel guilty that I shouldn’t of given it to him or I should of intervened quicker.
I used tweezers and slowly pulled it out and there was a bit of white gunk with a pinky red on it which now I’m worrying about and I’m so upset and concerned.

He sat at the bottom for a long time and I sat with him for about an hour and now he is swimming slowly and still looking for food ! (The greediest goldfish ever!) I am hoping he makes it through the night. don’t know whether I should do a partial water change if he’s still with me tomorrow I’m thinking if he has got some irritation or something inside then maybe a water change will help in his recovery and not have bad bacteria I don’t want him to get an infection :(

I don’t think I ever wanna feed him veg again after this it’s put me off big time .

He has blood worms from time to time normally once every two weeks so will stick to what’s worked I feel like I may have killed him and the guilt is horrendous :(
Rachitch Rachitch
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 10/5 10:50
Re: Goldfish has food stuck #4
Update! My little Lumi the goldfish is lively alert and looking much better have done a water change as want the tank clean as possible to prevent any infection .

Levels are perfect so will check levels again tomorrow but he is looking a hell of a lot better he’s a little fighter :)
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 10/5 12:30
Re: Goldfish has food stuck #5
Sorry to read of the traumatic experience - but great to read of this update. Hopefully Lumi will be fine now - it's amazing how quickly they can be from seemingly at death's door (I've also done the vigil-keeping / sitting with them, much like you described) to behaving as though nothing was ever wrong.

I would do a small water change daily for the next week or so (even just 10-20% per day). That will ensure that water quality (ammonia, nitrite, nitrates) is kept in tip-top condition to minimise the risk of infection and also keep other things at bay (eg any stress hormones which might be in the water as a consequence of the experience and which wouldn't be measurable through home-based water testing kits in the way that ammonia/nitrates/nitrite can be tested).

Fingers crossed for his continued improvement.
Rachitch Rachitch
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 10/5 22:36
Re: Goldfish has food stuck #6
I’m shocked at how happy he is looking I honestly thought that was it !

Changed 20% today and will continue to do so each day I have some anti bacterial treatment for fish wounds / ulcers so put a small amount in as well and he seems to be responding as if nothings happened !

So glad he’s ok just got to keep my eye on him over the next week or so.

Thanks for the reply and glad to hear I’m not the only one that is fish bonkers lol