ColePoul ColePoul
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 3/10 14:22
New to fishkeeping in the uk #1
Hi all
I have kept and bred quite a few fish in South Africa ( I had an 80 liter tank )
I now live in the UK and am considering getting a smallish tank ( 30+- liters) is there any advice on how things would be different here? I plan on getting a heater for the tank, I always had one in SA but is there anything else I might need to know? I'm considering getting mollies or goldfish. I was breeding them in SA but have never tried goldfish. Any advice would be great 😀
Many thanks
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 3/10 14:29
Re: New to fishkeeping in the uk #2
Hi

Unfortunately, 30 litres isn't large enough for most fish. There are a few very tiny species' that would work in a tank that size, but Mollies need at least a 3ft long tank. Fancy goldfish need at least 140 litres for the first fish plus 45 litres more for every extra fish added and a tank at least 3ft long. Single tail types are really pond fish.

I would aim to have at least a 60-litre tank as a start, but before you can choose fish you need to find out what your water is like in terms of hardness and pH as some fish thrive in hard water, some in soft. Your water supplier's website should have a full report on water quality in your postcode area which will give you a rough idea prior to buying tats kits.
ColePoul ColePoul
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 3/10 14:39
Re: New to fishkeeping in the uk #3
Thanks for reply Fishlady
I was just planning on getting about 5 balloon mollies and some sort of catfish to clean up leftover fish food. Would that be too much for a 30 liter? I only have limited space for a tank so am trying to find one to fit
😀
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 3/10 15:05
Re: New to fishkeeping in the uk #4
No, unfortunately 30 litres is absolutely too small for mollies. If that's as big as you can go, you need to consider either a lone male Betta splendens or a small shoal of one of the nano species' such as Boraras brigittae, Danio erythromicron, Celestial Pearl Danio, Endler's livebearers etc.
ColePoul ColePoul
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 3/10 16:16
Re: New to fishkeeping in the uk #5
Ok will widen my tank search to find a taller tank rather than long and low, any advice on fairly inexpensive tanks? Not going to skimp but the cheaper choices mean I can go a bit bigger?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 3/10 16:45
Re: New to fishkeeping in the uk #6
A taller tank won't help I'm afraid; the fish need length and width for swimming space and territory, so although a taller tank has more water volume it won't enable you to keep more or larger fish. Mollies meed about 3fft x 1ft floor space (100cm x 30cm)