HH44 HH44
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 11/8/2017 18:50
Goldfish and Stickleback #1
Hello,
I have had an aquarium indoor for 2 years so I'm ok with keeping indoor fish.
I decided to get an outdoor pond so I saved up and bought one. I'm only 16 and I have no real income so I decided to go fishing with my 85 year old neighbour to get some sticklebacks which I put in the pond (around 20) mixed of all sizes and gender. 2 days ago I went to the pet shop and got a common gold fish and a shubunkin both around 10cm/3.5 inch. I've been checking on them and they are hiding mostly under a rick. I assumed they were scared of me so I sat on a chair by the pond for 2 hours being still. The shubunkin was swimming really fast around the pond but then would go back under the rock. The stickleback would chase him but not bite him or anything. The common gold never left from under the rock he'd only stick his head out. I'm a bit worried and I'm considering taking the stickleback out and making them a new pond. Please help me I'm so used to my fantail and black Moor swimming gracefully in my tank. I have no idea what to do with this situation.
I have a picture of my pond before I stocked it with gravel and sand and elodea and another deep water plant I'm not really sure of the name I also added some duckweed hoping for it to grow and replicate. I'm also saving up for a 15m extension cable to be able to add my pond fliter in.

Attach file:

jpeg  (859.70 KB)
20698_598dee514c6e0.jpeg 3264X1836 px
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 11/8/2017 19:41
Re: Goldfish and Stickleback #2
Save your self a lot of grief, get the duckweed out now, it will take over your pond, trust me.

Don't even think about using an extension lead for a pond.

I understand you are only 16 and I admire what your thinking, but an extension lead is not meant for continuous outside use (which is what the pond would require) and it can easily be damaged. (Obviously the dame will not be on purpose, but it can and will get damaged, and come winter the lead may even split)

I think it would be best if you found the fish a new home, and leave the pond as is and see what moves in and calls it home. If you can find an old large pipe, or an old "clay" flowerpot put that in your pond (on its side) it will make a home / hiding place.

Enjoy your pond for what it is, a fish pond needs a lot of looking after, just like fish tanks do, a natural pond only requires some maintenance.

Below is what your pond will look like after a short while if you have duckweed.

Resized Image
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
HH44 HH44
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 11/8/2017 20:04
Re: Goldfish and Stickleback #3
Thank you, I'll remove the duckweed tommorow and try get a large cheap aquarium for the goldfish. Since I'll take out the goldfish I probs won't need the pump anymore. I'll just keep feeding the sticklebacks and maybe add a ramp for frogs and I'll get a pipe for anything that wants to live in it.
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 11/8/2017 21:07
Re: Goldfish and Stickleback #4
Good decision, you would also need to have a filter as well as a U.V. to keep the pond clear, that would be a lot of savibng to do.

You may also want to read This Also This

As you are finding, there is a lot more to looking after a pond than there is to looking after a fish tank.
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.