AlexMann AlexMann
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Glamorgan
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 18/6/2017 16:56
New tank problem - water has gone murky greenish? #1
Hello All,

I've just bought a Biorb 30L tank, filled it as per instructions but after about 24 hours it has gone cloudy and murky like pond water. I have attached a photo for comparison.

Can anyone offer any advice or help?

Thanks

Alex

Attach file:

jpg  (846.11 KB)
20537_5946a29b0c106.jpg 3024X4032 px
james15 james15
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 19/6/2017 18:26
Re: New tank problem - water has gone murky greenish? #2
Is that bogwood I can see there? If so then that's the reason. It leaches tannin into the water which cause that discolouration. It's not harmful, just unsightly. It may clear eventually when there is no tannin left in the bogwood, but there's no telling how long it will take, possibly months. I've heard that boiling the bogwood with remove most of the tannin, but I've never actually tried it myself. Otherwise removing the bogwood altogether would be the solution.
Are you doing a fishless cycle using ammonia? (Fishless cycle doesn't just mean filling the tank and leaving it running for a few days, as many people think. This article explains it).
Do you have any idea what fish you want to get? A tank as small as 30l gives you very few options.
AlexMann AlexMann
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Glamorgan
  • Posted on: 19/6/2017 22:01
Re: New tank problem - water has gone murky greenish? #3
Ah I suspected it might be the bogwood, I've switched out about 60% of the water and its improved if it keeps happening ill try the boiling idea.

The tank has a special system apparently involving the ceramic stones and bacteria and such like. Its my first tank so I'm not entirely sure.

I know its just a small hobby tank, probably just small stuff like neon tetras etc
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 24/6/2017 17:22
Re: New tank problem - water has gone murky greenish? #4
As james15 has said, a 30-litre tank gives few options in terms of fish - but it could continue to serve its purpose as an aquascaping tank +/- some shrimp or snails.

Check out the "Caresheets" section as per the main menu on this site. You'll see from there and from
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/paracheirodon-innesi/ that neon tetras require a tank of at least twice the volume of yours. Even the tinier micro species of fish require a tank of minimum 'footprint' 60cm x 30cm as they need to be kept in larger shoal numbers.

Good luck with however you proceed - the aquascape would be lovely in its own right but the shrimp or snails might provide some added interest for you and they can be quite fascinating to watch.
james15 james15
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 27/6/2017 11:14
Re: New tank problem - water has gone murky greenish? #5
Quote:

AlexMann wrote:
The tank has a special system apparently involving the ceramic stones and bacteria and such like.

It will still need a fishless cycle to establish the bacterial colonies before it's ready for livestock. To be honest the filtration system in the Biorb tanks is a little outdated and inefficient.