Peterhill26 Peterhill26
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From West Glamorgan
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 26/2/2017 19:11
Gill Fluke Discuss #1
Hi all what is the best and straightforward treatment for Gill Fluke in my Discus I have been looking on the internet and it is a minefield ? They say that Prazipro is very good the only problem is that you got to order it from the States.
I Have used Wormer Plus for the first 4 days and Double Dose for the next 4 Days before doing a 50% water change which does say on the Packet for Gill Fluke.
What other Treatment which is out there if I got to Treat further or to keep for future
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 28/2/2017 5:32
Re: Gill Fluke Discuss #2
Hello.

You're looking for a medicine called Praziquantel. Doesn't have to be exactly Prazipro to have this med in there.

I used API General Cure for my discus. It also contain Metronidazole which then treat bacteria in case of infection and stuff.
The downside of this is that you will potentially kill all the bacteria you have on your filter.

If you think that your fluke problem is serious (which means they might have eggs all over your tank) then treat the whole tank!

1. Remove the filter to another water container that can keep the filter running. Feed it with ammonia and make sure that container is oxygenated. (The idea is to keep the bacteria alive).

2. Treat the whole tank. During the treatment, reduce feedings to avoid fish produce too much ammonia. It's not really good but discus in their wild environment don't have much to eat so they won't starve with little feedings every day (again the depends on the age too, young fish needs more food).

3. Optional: I sometimes soak my fish food in API general cure before feeding. Especially live food. Use a small water container, have an airstone running in there and then add the API general cure, how much to add depends on what's the water volumne but 1/3-1/2 pack is usually okay.

4. After the treatment, DO NOT ADD FILTER BACK IN YET! Do water changes to reduce the medicine in your tank. Filter the water with activated carbon (Optional). I'd say do 30% water change once every day for 3-4 days. At this point you can feed your fish again but monitor Ammonia if you do so

5. After 7 DAYS of leaving the filter out of the tank and with all the water changes to remove medication in the tank. WE WANT 7 DAYS TO make sure all flukes eggs died.

My method is complicated but at least you don't have to go through the cycle process again :) Evertime I add new fish, I treat them with API General Cure too at the same time as the accimilation. I do the same for any live food too.

Good Luck!
Peterhill26 Peterhill26
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From West Glamorgan
  • Posted on: 28/2/2017 15:13
Re: Gill Fluke Discuss #3
Thank you for your reply.