k433vox k433vox
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/6/2016 1:35
Canister filter left off for 2 days #1
Did my weekly water change 6pm tuesday .... thursday at 8pm thought something not quite right and noticed I had not switched on heater ...THEN RELISED I HAD NOT PLUGGED BACK IN CANISTER FILTER .... took ammonia and 0 (run 2 sponge filters in tank too). Got out of bed at midnight thinking about effect turning filter back on has had... nitrItes wat 0.5/ 0.6......

I cannot believe my stupidity. I have just performed a large water change 1.32 a.m. and x5 double dosed with Prime ... what is the plan of action herein? Do I perform 50% water changes daily and test for nitrites until they are back to 0? Can I expect normality in a couple of days, or does it depend on damage done to colony in the filter.

Many thanks.
k433vox k433vox
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 17/6/2016 18:21
Re: Canister filter left off for 2 days #2
0,05 this afternoon and now <0,01 after another large water change .... will test again in morning .... hope I have got away with this stupid mistake.
james15 james15
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 17/6/2016 18:50
Re: Canister filter left off for 2 days #3
I'd say keep up the testing and water changes, and if you're not already use Prime to detoxify ammonia and nitrite. It may take a week or two to recover as the bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrite may have died off. However the ones that convert nitrite to nitrate (which take longer to establish in the first place) will sometimes go dormant rather than dying in which case it will be a lot quicker than starting a new cycle.
If I need to unplug my filter I usually leave the plug hanging out of the door of the cabinet, so I won't forget to plug it back in.
superswimmer superswimmer
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 17/6/2016 20:11
Re: Canister filter left off for 2 days #4
I think you should be okay in a few days. This has happened to me and I have never lost anyone because of it
I love my fish!
k433vox k433vox
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 17/6/2016 22:34
Re: Canister filter left off for 2 days #5
Thank you. I have read that I should have rinsed the filter in aquarium water before turning it back on, given toxin build up .... I think we have got back to normal now, after 2 large water changes and a 5x strength dose of Prime (liquid lifesaver) ... water is crystal clear and residents appear happy.

A silly mistake, brought about by changing two tanks after work, keeping an eye on my daughter and cooking dinner simultaneously. Just so happy all the fish are OK. Thanks for support.