• Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 11/4/2016 19:16
bloated fish, please help #1
Hi everyone,

I've got an issue with my tank. Details as follows;

80l capacity, amm 0 nitrite 0 Nitrate 20/30 (am dealing with this now) pH 7.6, kh 220 gh 90

The above is slightly lower in hardness and nitrates than current tap, but thats not unusual as tap fluctuates regularly.

Tank is heavily planted with crypts, planting substrate beneath gravel cap. I don't vac deeply into the substrate because of the nature of the planting and its not advised from what i understand with setups like this.

A few weeks ago.....six or eight maybe, I introduced two new guppies to the existing population of three endler x and one guppy. For some reason one of the guppies was picked on relentlessly so i moved him to my other tank where he's been fine, and the other one has been happy as larry until last weekend.

i noticed the sudden development of finrot and on closer inspection he was looking thinner and his body when viewed from above was crooked. I isolated him in a hospital tank, treated him with Esha 2000 and he seemed to pick up, was eating, etc for a couple of days, but by day three was laying on his side within a matter of hours so i decided to euthanise him.

Yesterday i noticed one of the endlers was quite bloated so I fed them peas, now all three endlers are looking very bloated, no pineconing, all acting and eating normally, good colour and active.

Now I failed to test the tap water before the last change and when i tested the tank nitrates they were high, even though its only a week sicne the last water change, and i tested the tap water and its even higher. I've double dosed prime and put in jbl nitratex to try and bring the nitrates down.

could the nitrate level have weakened the fish this week and caused the bloat?

I'm intending to treat the whole tanke with esha 2000 once the resin is out and the nitrate down (i cant water change as the tap water is so high in nitrate) which should be within 12 hours - is there anything else i can do? Are epsom salt baths worth doing if i can catch the little swines?

ANy help you can offer will be much appreciated

Emma
EmmaG EmmaG
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 12/4/2016 12:18
Re: bloated fish, please help #2
Anyone?
alisonharwood10 alisonharwood10
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Posted on: 18/4/2016 18:52
Re: bloated fish, please help #3
Hi, I may not be much help to you.. But you could try epsom salts. Only do it for about 5 minutes and then place back in tank, it can stress them out.Is it possible your fish could be carrying eggs? Just a suggestion.. It does not sound like dropsy, As when it happened to my fish (he was kinda chubby when i bought him) It was the scales sticking out that I noticed, unfortunately it was too late for him. How do they look now? Still bloated? Can you post a picture?
EmmaG EmmaG
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 20/4/2016 8:30
Re: bloated fish, please help #4
Hi Alison, thanks for your reply.

I was giving him epsom salt baths but the fish in question unfortunately died, and I've just now euthanised another

the remaining two endlers are fine at the moment, fingers crossed.

So the first fish had finrot and a crooked body, the second massively bloated and this latest one had a swim bladder issue as it was swimming vertically and eventually could hardly control itself.

Given the variation in symptoms and speed they all got sick I'm wondering if it was the shock of the high tap water nitrates that brought this all one. Furious with myself for not checking it before the water change.

Thanks again for replying.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 20/4/2016 23:26
Re: bloated fish, please help #5
Hi Emma,

Nitrate isn't terribly high so I wouldn't worry on that score. Looks most likely that one of the new ones has brought in a bacterial infection so I would go ahead with the eSha if it was me. FX that will sort it out
superswimmer superswimmer
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 5/6/2016 7:13
Re: bloated fish, please help #6
You could try starving them for two days for the bloating and swim bladder issue
I love my fish!