Cyprinid Cyprinid
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From County Durham
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 24/7/2015 21:14
Silencing noisy filter on tank in Bedroom #1
Made a big mistake with my tank, its in the bedroom and it came with an Aquaone trickle filter which was noisy enough to wake the dead, So I bought a Fluval U3 on advice from the local fish store, its quiet but takes up loads of room , does not filter the bottom half of the tank and now I find its not actally big enough for my 127 litre tank.

So I grovelled to the wife and admitted my mistake and she said I can get an external power filter, asked in three local shops what they recommended for my tank ( in my bedroom) and they all suggested a Fluval 206. So ?85 later I gets it home, sets it up, then proceed for the next eleven hours to try and make it QUIET. Which joker said they were nearly silent?

I got rid of the clattering noise by fitting an O ring to the turbine shaft, I spent two more hours getting the air out which stopped the rushing noise, but it still hums like a squadron of mosquitoes on LSD.

Soooo I was thinking about (A) Shooting it with my crossbow and (B) encapsulating in in a DIY soundproof box made from aluminium foil covered 50 mm insulating foam. Has anyone else found ways of silencing filters like putting them in sound proof containers , if so what did you do?

I dare not ask the wife for more money to buy something else besides I've lost all faith in the Fishkeeping shops in Durham and Teesside.
james15 james15
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 25/7/2015 9:43
Re: Silencing noisy filter on tank in Bedroom #2
It shouldn't be that loud. I don't have any personal experience of the 206, but I do have a 306 which is virtually silent so I would expect the 206 to be similar, and many of the Amazon reviews of the 206 say it is very quiet, so I'd say something isn't right. Make sure the filter and pipes aren't touching anything like the side of the cabinet. Or if it's standing on something hollow that might make it louder. Try standing it on a piece of polystyrene or something similar.
Miss Dorsal Miss Dorsal
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 25/7/2015 17:01
Re: Silencing noisy filter on tank in Bedroom #3
I have a 206 in on one of my tanks in my bedroom also. I've found it to be very quiet. It filters brilliantly too.

I'd try James' suggestions. If they don't work then you might have a faulty filter.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 25/7/2015 17:20
Re: Silencing noisy filter on tank in Bedroom #4
...and, if the above suggestions STILL don't silence it sufficiently for you, how about a pair of earplugs - for you and your wife, not for a novel method of silencing the filter!