Charlie Charlie
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/7/2015 15:30
Ongoing Swimbladder Issues #1
Hello

Im at my wits end, my fancy goldfish most definately has swim bladder issues. When I fast him this seems to eliminate the floating and bobbing around on the surface. this says to me its digestion problems and not infection?

Obviously I cant keep fasting my fish, I have 3 other fancies in the same tank.

As soon as start feeding again within no time he is stuck at the top.

I feed veggies, frozen bloodworm, and Tetra Gold Japan throughtout the week so diet is varied. Water paramaters are perfect.

He is finding it stressful, he tries to swim down but cant stay down. The only solution I have found is not feeding but I need to feed my fish so I am at a complete loss as to how to deal with this issue.

I've read the thred on here for swim bladder, is it a case of this is just how he is and we have to live with it?

If I dont do a fast after around a week he ends up upside down, I can't handle seeing him like that, its heart breaking. totally at my wits end :(

Any advice, comments hugely appreciated.

Cheers
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 17/7/2015 17:45
Re: Ongoing Swimbladder Issues #2
I can completely empathise with this problem ? a fancy goldfish which I was very fond of had this very same problem, and my beloved common/comet goldfish had this (in addition to an eye growth of several years) in the last few months of his life (sadly, he died a year ago today).

Like you, I fed a varied diet, and found that several days of feeding veggies and bloodworm (and an occasional morsel of papaya fruit) were particularly helpful for clearing out any blockages that might be pressing on the swimbladder. Also, like you, water parameters were perfect.

I tended to ?manage? the situation in each case by diet (food portions became ever smaller because of the consequences of floating/bobbing), occasional dosages of aquarium salt which often helped resolve the floating/bobbing problem overnight, and, when things were at their worst and had been going on like this for several weeks, swimbladder treatment. Ultimately, having not thought about or discovered fish forums until autumn last year when I decided to venture into tropical fishfeeding, and having been so focused on attempting to rectify the floating/bobbing problem, I now think that each fish died as a consequence of malnutrition which pains me greatly. I also think that their fish tanks not having been large enough may also have been to blame? it seemed to be, but over the course of the years I had each of these fish, the ?thinking? around appropriate tank size seems to have changed.

What would I have done differently and therefore could recommend to you? An automatic feeder to dispense small portions of food regularly throughout the day (which I only tried in the final week by which time it was too late), perhaps tried anti-bacterial medication (I had thought about this but decided against it given that the fish always seemed better in the morning and so I decided it couldn?t be an anti-bacterial infection), and a bigger tank size (this may not be a problem for you but http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... -size-life-expectancy.htm shows the current ?thinking? on tank requirements).

I do hope this helps. Please keep us posted.
Charlie Charlie
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 17/7/2015 18:52
Re: Ongoing Swimbladder Issues #3
Thanks for your reply and sorry to hear you went through this with yours, its so awful and you feel helpless.

I really like the idea of a dispenser, I hadn't thought of this. mine get fed twice morning and evening so spreading that out making the portions smaller makes a lot of sense if he's got digestion issues. Im going to give this a go.

Ive tried the anti bacterial but didnt seem to work, although I didn't stick with it as im convinced its his digestive system letting him down.from doing that I have aquarium salt which I will try, how often so I add do you think, im guessing weekly on water change day....

When he's right and able to swim normally I swear he looks like puppy dog the way he gracefully begs for food :) I love that fish so I'll try anything that might help him!! :) thanks again!!
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 17/7/2015 21:39
Re: Ongoing Swimbladder Issues #4
Great; do keep us posted on how you get on with the dispenser.

I would try the aquarium salt once and see how that goes - hopefully it will make a difference. If it does, then I'd probably wait until the next time you think the situation needs it - but probably once a week is about right but not more often than that; I'd maybe wait until the day after a water change, just to give the water parameters a chance to 'settle', rather than there being a slight change in water parameters plus the salt to get accustomed to.

On a separate matter, and just in case things don't ultimately work out and become "manageable" or rectify themselves, I'd also advise, on days when he's right, getting some video footage of him - many years ago, I set up the camera to take some video footage of my goldfish getting excited in the background when I was chopping some food (mango - his favourite treat) for him in the foreground, and it's so comforting and enjoyable to look back on from time to time given how much I love(d) him.
Charlie Charlie
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 17/7/2015 23:19
Re: Ongoing Swimbladder Issues #5
Will do lady... the dispenser has to be the way forward
maccy_g maccy_g
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 19/7/2015 9:40
Re: Ongoing Swimbladder Issues #6
I have kept fancy goldfish for many years and I can totally sympathise with the SBD problems you have had with your fish.

Firstl I would say, don't beat yourself up about it - I, like you tried countless methods of treating SBD as well as preventative measures and almost all of my fish succumbed to SBD eventually.

I can honestly say that the issues I have had keeping fancies has begun to turn me off keeping them. Unfortunately because of years and years of in-breeding most fancies are genetically pre-disposed to SBD as well as other issues, even the very high quality specimens that cost hundreds of pounds can still have the same problems.

I consider myself to be a relatively experienced keeper of fancies and I used to be a member of the Goldfish Society Of Great Britain. Some of the breeders on there used to speak of show-winning fancies developing SBD problems, now if keepers of show winning fish can still experience problems then what chance do we have?

I have come to the conclusion that whilst fancies are an absolute joy to keep and very rewarding, the frustrations and distress of seeing a once perfectly healthy fish that you have kept and fed properly and looked after to the best of your ability become struck down by SBD vastly outweigh the positives of the hobby.
maccy_g maccy_g
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 19/7/2015 9:45
Re: Ongoing Swimbladder Issues #7
Sorry, didn't mean for that post to sound depressing.

I just hate seeing good keepers of fancies blaming themselves for SBD when in most cases the fish are pre-disposed to get it regardless of how well the owner keeps it.
Charlie Charlie
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 19/7/2015 16:27
Re: Ongoing Swimbladder Issues #8
Thanks for your reply! This weekend ive tried feeding little and often. It doesn't seemed to have improved Him. He's at the top struggling to stay up right and last night he rolled upside down. Maybe I need to reduce the portion further but feed more frequently. Its just heart breaking seeing him struggling and as all goldfish do he loves his food so I find us in a bit of a vicious circle. Ill probably do a fast tomorrow to get him right again. Its hard and the more people I speak to and the more I read I dont think ill cure him. He's a young fish and hes my boy so im not giving up on him. Was there anything you tried which you found helped to minimise the effects of swim bladder?

Cheers
Miss Dorsal Miss Dorsal
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 19/7/2015 18:33
Re: Ongoing Swimbladder Issues #9
I had and still have some fish affected with SBD. I used to have a little female named Muriel who had a problem with being stuck at the surface. In the end, I got a shallow tank made especially for her. She was able to act a bit more like a normal fish this way.

You could try putting your fish into a food safe plastic tub, like a Wham Box. Don't fill it too high and see if it helps. Most likely, he won't be cured of SBD but won't be so far from bottom this way and might find he can eat better this way.
Charlie Charlie
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 19/7/2015 19:13
Re: Ongoing Swimbladder Issues #10
Hi miss dorsal... do you mean put him in a tub at feeding times?

He is finding it really hard to get the food as the day goes on... I can see how swollen he is with air, its so frustrating for him and me!