meriad meriad
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/5/2015 13:48
Can I release them? #1
I have four goldfish that I rescued off people offering them on freecycle. Poor things have been stuck in a fishtank since October last year because it would have been too cold to release them. But they really really need to get out that tank soon (whilst much bigger than what they were in; it's no where near big enough for long term housing). They will be so much happier in the pond in the garden; so much more space.

The night time temps for the next few nights are meant to be between 9 - 12 and the day time temps around 18 - 20 (all degrees celsius).

Do you think it would be OK to let them go this weekend or should I rather wait a bit longer?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 23/5/2015 9:34
Re: Can I release them? #2
Have a look at the forecast over a longer period if you can. If temps aren't going to go much lower than that you can put them out. Remember to acclimatise them slowly.
meriad meriad
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 26/5/2015 15:01
Re: Can I release them? #3
Thanks for that. Well I had another look and there are two nights when the temperature drops to about 6 degrees which is too low for my liking so I'll wait a bit longer.

And being totally daft; when you say acclimatise them slowly what do I need to do?

I was thinking of getting a decent size plastic tub and putting them in there with the water from the tank they're currently in; and then bit by bit taking some water out and replacing it with pond water (maybe a litre at a time?) and then when it's about 1/2 acquarium and 1/2 pond let them go?

And all in all letting this process take about 2 or 3 hours? Or should I give it 1/2 day?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 26/5/2015 15:40
Re: Can I release them? #4
Your plan sounds good to me FX for a happy future in their new home.
meriad meriad
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 26/5/2015 15:53
Re: Can I release them? #5
Great, thanks! Now for this weather to hurry up and warm up :D