meriad meriad
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 29/4/2015 13:06
What don't we do... #1
Someone was advertising a small plastic fish tank on freecycle; in their words "suitable for one goldfish or some tiny shoal like ones"

I've thankfully managed to reply in time and will be collecting it tomorrow after work and depepending on the condition I'll keep it as an emergency tank for my tropical tank. But I suspect it'll end up same as the other two tiny tanks I took off freecycle in my goldfish rescue attempts - in the recycling bin so it doesn't ever housing a goldfish
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 29/4/2015 19:41
Re: What don't we do... #2
Well done! Recently, I noticed in horror a "goldfish bowl" being advertised alongside the comment "there's no need for a filter", as though the bowl were therefore the preferable option.

The thought occurred to me the other day that perhaps one way to start getting the message "out there" about what are/aren't suitable sizes of goldfish tanks, and slowly start to change people's thinking, is to start putting reviews of these small tanks on websites that sell them and refer to them as being totally unsuitable for goldfish but perhaps suitable for shrimps or betta fish or micro-sized fish. Hopefully, we'll be helping get the message out there, so that it becomes unacceptable and shameful for people to buy them for goldfish purposes and equally for shops to sell them for goldfish purposes, and, in turn, to sell them on second-hand for these purposes.

Is there any research out there, and if so, where, which actually backs up all of this about health/length of life and goldfish tank size? If we could cite this, surely we have a case to make for "duty of care", rights of pets not to be subject to abuse through poor living conditions, false/misleading marketing of products, etc? While there is a wealth of anecdotal-type evidence from these forums, it may be interpreted as a biased sample.
Miss Dorsal Miss Dorsal
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 29/4/2015 23:55
Re: What don't we do... #3
Earlier last year I started a campaign to leave goldfish bowls bad reviews on Amazon. A few members from here left bad reviews. It was great! Just don't read the comments people leave on your review.

We could always have another round this year. Maybe expand to other sites where you can easily leave reviews. I'm sure some of the big pet stores with online sites must have a review system. I've never bothered to look.

Suey2 may know more about the research side of things with regards to goldfish.
meriad meriad
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 1/5/2015 10:49
Re: What don't we do... #4
Well, just as well I went to collect that tank, it's tiny - even smaller than the ones my other rescues came in. It's probably a 19l tank or similar.

Needless to say, it's going in the recycling bin!
maccy_g maccy_g
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 1/5/2015 12:08
Re: What don't we do... #5
19l!!!

My bucket holds more water than that!
meriad meriad
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 1/5/2015 12:09
Re: What don't we do... #6
easily.

Sad isn't it :(
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 2/5/2015 8:47
Re: What don't we do... #7
Coincidentally, I've just been browsing through the latest edition of "Practical Fishkeeping" magazine, and I see a letter in it that Fishkeeper Inverness / Maidenhead Aquatics (think the Scottish stores are a franchise of M.A.) has a clear sign up, advising that goldfish should have an aquarium of at least 120 litres. I've managed to find a link to the letter here: http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1146439

At least there's one responsible retailer so far out there - it's time that others followed suit, so perhaps we can do our bit (most of the chain pet/aquatic/home stores do have websites, enabling reviews of their products) in helping build the momentum for change so that bowls and small tanks for goldfish are realised to be cruel, no longer perceived as acceptable, and become a thing of the past.
james15 james15
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 2/5/2015 14:07
Re: What don't we do... #8
Quote:

fcmf wrote:
At least there's one responsible retailer so far out there - it's time that others followed suit, so perhaps we can do our bit (most of the chain pet/aquatic/home stores do have websites, enabling reviews of their products) in helping build the momentum for change so that bowls and small tanks for goldfish are realised to be cruel, no longer perceived as acceptable, and become a thing of the past.

I followed Miss Dorsal's lead in leaving 1-star reviews on Amazon. So far I've only had one negative reply, and even that one wasn't too bad. But what's more encouraging is that most of the reviews I left have received quite a few "helpful" votes. So people are obviously taking it on board.