Miss Dorsal Miss Dorsal
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/4/2015 18:03
Snail Infestation #1
I mentioned a few weeks back that Winston had snails in his tank after I added plants, now they're starting to get out of control. I was hoping they wouldn't breed as there isn't much for them to eat (plants pulled up by the fish and almost gone). They have, however, and I have no idea how to tackle the problem. Any ideas?

I thank goodness that the other three tanks have not been affected. I'm guessing the other fish had their snails for lunch and saw to the problem themselves as I've not seen a single snail in any of the other tanks. I'm assuming with Winston being disabled, he didn't/hasn't noticed the french delicacy that is unwittingly on offer. Maybe I just got lucky with other tanks?

Won't be buying from Plants Alive again.
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 24/4/2015 15:05
Re: Snail Infestation #2
Hi

Can you identify what kind of snail is that?

USually snail only breed to the point that the food source is capable of supporting a certain population. So avoid over feeding and make sure no left-over food from your fish.

Another way is to remove the snails manually. You can google snails trap or do it a much simpler way like having a small plate or bowl with fish food in there and put it in the tank. The snails will smell the food and gather in there, once you've seen a good amount of snails in there, you can remove the snails easily. Do this several times and the amount of snails will be reduced significantly
maccy_g maccy_g
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 24/4/2015 20:54
Re: Snail Infestation #3
I'd happily take them off your hands, I have 3 Figure Eight Puffers who....ahem....quite like a few snails hanging around
Miss Dorsal Miss Dorsal
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 25/4/2015 17:42
Re: Snail Infestation #4
@ nathangoudie they are the type you get in ponds, usually. Not sure what their breed is called, they're small and black or at least they appear that way. Very, very common.

I wouldn't mind if the tank was bigger and could accommodate the extra waste but it's a 160 litre tank, 20 litres short of the requirements for two fancy goldfish.

@ maccy_g you'd be welcome to them lol.