(1) 2 »
Cil26 Cil26
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 21/4/2015 11:36
newbie wanting to keep goldfish #1
Hi so I've decided I wanna keep fancy goldfish! I bought a second hand tank off eBay a couple of weeks ago. it's a 300 litre. I'm gonna be building a stand for it soon then getting a filter/decor/live plants etc and starting a fishless cycle. Just having a think of what I'd like to go in there and I'm thinking 4 fancies, 3 weather loaches (i read they thrive in groups) and 2 Apple snails. So you think I will be overstocked? Also can weather loaches and snails live with goldies? I want everyone to get on :) thanks in advance guys and what a great forum!
maccy_g maccy_g
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 21/4/2015 18:31
Re: newbie wanting to keep goldfish #2
Hi,

As far as the fancies are concerned you are probably ok with 4 fancies as long as you don't overload the tank with decor - remember that although the tank is labelled as "300 litre" that is based on the tank being literally full to the brim without any decor, neither of which tend to be the case

Also a big factor with fancies is filtration, it's great giving them the space but you need to ensure your filter is up to the job too, what filter have you got for the tank?

No idea about compatibility between loaches / snails and goldies as my fancies don't have any other species in with them, best leave that for someone else to answer!
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 21/4/2015 19:42
Re: newbie wanting to keep goldfish #3
Hi

Im not sure if your tank will be overstocked or not but weather loaches are very peaceful and can be kept with goldfish.
Cil26 Cil26
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 21/4/2015 19:56
Re: newbie wanting to keep goldfish #4
Thanks maccy, I'll keep the decor thing in mind :) was thinking a sand substrate and a couple of plants really, but I read that loaches like hiding places so maybe a cave or something. I plan on getting one of the strong all pond solutions external filters (rated 1400 l/h) and also buy a booster to go with it and see how I get on. I like the look (and price) of the hang on back filters but not sure they would be strong enough. It's good to know Nathan :) reeally want the loaches..they are meant to be such little characters, I love fish with personality!
Miss Dorsal Miss Dorsal
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 21/4/2015 20:42
Re: newbie wanting to keep goldfish #5
I'd strongly advise against a hang on filter with Goldfish.

Apple snails prefer warm water, they tend to slow down in cold water tanks. I'd consider whether it's worth adding them and creating the extra waste. They are likely to spend much of their time closed up in their shell.
Cil26 Cil26
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 21/4/2015 22:20
Re: newbie wanting to keep goldfish #6
Ahh I'll forget the snails then, it was my kids who really wanted them lol. Thanks for the heads up on the hob filters!
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 21/4/2015 23:57
Re: newbie wanting to keep goldfish #7
Weather loaches are big fish, and it wouldn't be fair to just have one - probably better to decide either goldfish or weather loaches but not both tbh
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/misgurnus-anguillicaudatus/
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
Cil26 Cil26
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 22/4/2015 8:34
Re: newbie wanting to keep goldfish #8
The tank I've got120x45x65cm, do you know how many litres the loaches need each? if I decided on 3 fancies instead of 4 could the loaches be a possibility??
james15 james15
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 22/4/2015 16:20
Re: newbie wanting to keep goldfish #9
I'm no expert on either species but the advice I've seen is that goldfish shouldn't be kept with anything other than other goldfish.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 22/4/2015 17:29
Re: newbie wanting to keep goldfish #10
I was about to agree with the previous post, as that's also what I've read, but then I noticed this http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... esheet.php?caresheetID=72

Hopefully someone with experience of keeping both, or with more fishkeeping experience generally, will be able to advise.

I know folk on here don't generally like these stocking websites, as they feel that they tend to err on the side of overstocking, but you might find this useful in the interim: http://www.aqadvisor.com/