NJS1982 NJS1982
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Leicestershire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 9/4/2015 10:06
Outdoor Switch Box #1
Hi all, I have a Blagdon 5-way remote control switch box, and it has failed. I haven't had it long and it is the second one I have had. Can anyone recommend a similar, perhaps more industrial, box so as I can re-wire my lights back into it? Thanks!
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 9/4/2015 18:14
Re: Outdoor Switch Box #2
I have to admit, I have never used a switch box, but from those that I have actually seen they all seem to be "not suitable"

Have you considered "making your own" using MK weatherproof switches? Not cheap but last for many years.

You could also consider remote controlled sockets, but you need to mount them in a weather proof box. (Screwfix sell the boxes)
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
CB3100 CB3100
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 23/6/2015 17:32
Re: Outdoor Switch Box #3
I always found Blagdon switchbox's awkward to internally wire up.

I use Yamitsu switch boxes, there not very expensive,easy use and do the job quite well. I'm not sure they do a five way though, they do a 4.

CB3100
One who cannot love her smallest creations, cannot claim to stand before Nature - Takashi Amano

paulgee paulgee
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 15/7/2015 8:52
Re: Outdoor Switch Box #4
when you say outside is it in a shed or conservatory etc.? With the DIY option it depends on your experience with mains electrics and where you are locating the switches, for instance if your switchboard is in an enclosure or shed then you could use other switch options that are a lot cheaper than outside waterproof boxes a couple of 4 or 3 way MK switch pattress may do the job depending on the amperage you are switching.