meriad meriad
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 8/4/2015 14:00
When is best to move indoor goldfish to the great outdoors #1
Last year October I rescued 4 goldfish with the aim to release them into my pond in the spring of this year.

When could I start thinking about doing this - I was always under the assumption I'd need to wait for at least 10 nights of 10 degrees Celsius to make sure the water temp was high enough so they didn't have an issue with the transfer. Is that correct?

I've grown quite attached to these four, having had them in the lounge throughout the winter months and I really would be gutted if anything happened to them so definitely want to make sure that I do everything as right as I can.

thanks!
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/4/2015 20:11
Re: When is best to move indoor goldfish to the great outdoors #2
I completely understand how easy it is to become attached to goldfish, having experienced that in my goldfish-keeping days.

Consequently, I'd advise ensuring that you have good pond cover in the event of any 'visitors'. I know one fishkeeper who had a fake heron to deter such visitors but sadly lost all his fish one day, whether from a bird/fox/cat/some other visitor. Another fishkeeper had plenty of lily pads but that didn't suffice, and I saw a cat drinking from the now-fishless pond recently. I'd advise something much sturdier (like wire netting) that covers the pond completely - as my goldfish were kept indoors, I don't have experience of the different pond cover options, but hopefully someone else here will be able to offer advice.
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 8/4/2015 20:51
Re: When is best to move indoor goldfish to the great outdoors #3
Don't bother with a plastic heron, it does two things.

1) Gives any passing heron a good laugh.

2) Makes money for the person you brought it from.

If a heron sees another heron it assumes that it must be safe or there is food there.

If you want to be 100% safe then cover your pond with a net, and keep it taught. it has been known for herons to stand on the net, making it sink.
They have also been known to step over / under "fences"

Not everyone likes nets, you may want to read This topic
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
meriad meriad
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 9/4/2015 13:58
Re: When is best to move indoor goldfish to the great outdoors #4
Thanks both

My neighbour had her pond emptied just the other day by 'public enemy nr 1' as she called him; only one fish managed to escape the clutches of the heron

Thankfully where my pond is located seems to make it quite difficult for a heron to get to; it has a 6ft solid fence panel and a 6ft trellis along the back and one side of it; so not really best landing / take off space for a heron and the other two sides aren't over exposed either. And then I suspect the fact that I have cats that are always out in the garden would be a deterrent as well. If anything it's one of my cats I need to worry about. But I do have safe guards in place for him so hopefully the fish will be safe once released.

Roll on the warmer days!