Charlie Charlie
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 31/3/2015 19:59
Fishless cycling..... #1
Hi Guys

I've decided to do a fish less cycle on my 27l tank. Into the second week.

For the first week used fish food.. This got the nitrites going. They rose to between 2 & 4ppm. Then I swapped over to pure ammonia for the last leg

Then the nitrite started dropping within days I was down to Zero. Was amazed by this reading yesterday. The ammonia went to around 4pmm when I added the pure ammonia and this has dropped to 1ppm

Tested nitrate yesterday also, between 40 & 80ppm.

I have around 30ppm in my water supply so tested both at the same time, definitely showing a rise.

Tested this evening and the ammonia is still at 1ppm... Is something wrong? I thought ammonia would be zero if nitrite had risen and then dropped to zero.

Do I need to add more ammonia? Has it all gone wrong?

The tank is planted...

Once again any advice is so appreciated!

Cheers
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 1/4/2015 22:00
Re: Fishless cycling..... #2
What will you be using the tank for? Given its very small size, you don't need to cycle to 4ppm; 2ppm should be plenty.

To ensure you have sufficient bacteria, the idea is to dose to your chosen level (2ppm), wait for ammonia to drop to near 0 then redose., testing for ammonia an nitrite every 24 hours. When you get t the sage where the 2ppm of ammonia has reduced to 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite after 24 hours, continue daily dosing, but test after 12 hours. When the ammonia and subsequent nitrite are both being processed in 12 hours (i.e. 0 reading for both, 12 hours after adding ammonia), the tank is cycled.
Charlie Charlie
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 1/4/2015 22:16
Re: Fishless cycling..... #3
Hey fishlady

I was hoping to put a dwarf puffer in it but I just want to give up. My goldies tank who I reported all well yesterday is now showing nitrite after this evenings test. I've done a big water change and not fed them tonight

Also noticed flounders lump has flared up which must be down to the nitrite. Bloody buggar #OOPS#.

So it's back to daily water changes for me and the puffer will just have to stay a dream for now. I'm not doing anything else until my lovely fish I have right now are sorted.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 2/4/2015 8:59
Re: Fishless cycling..... #4
Don't worry; it'll just be a brief glitch from the increased feeding. It will resolve in a day or two.