• Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/2/2015 21:25
Is PH too high for my goldfish #1
Hi Guys

Just a quick question..

I've ended up doing fish in cycle due to bad advice. Aside from the other important readings.. my PH is reading 8.2. It stays steady at this, same 8.2 reading everyday.

Is this too high for my goldies?

I've read this is high but also that me messing around with the PH could be just as bad for them?

Thanks for any advice!

Cheers!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 22/2/2015 22:01
Re: Is PH too high for my goldfish #2
No it isn't too high for the fish. However, if you're cycling fish in, the high pH will make any ammonia in the tank more toxic so you need to be very vigilant and keepmit beloe 0.25 ppm with water changes.
Charlie Charlie
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 22/2/2015 22:47
Re: Is PH too high for my goldfish #3
Thank you Fishlady!

One less thing to worry about. Ok cool, I am being very vigilant with the ammonia, but didn't know the higher PH would make it more toxic so thank you for letting me know about that. after some good advice on another thread i'm also going to swap my tap safe for seachem prime hoping to make it easier on my lovely fish.

Do you know the growth rate of fancies by any chance?

Cheers
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 23/2/2015 7:53
Re: Is PH too high for my goldfish #4
Hi Charlie,

In the right conditions they are quick to grow, reaching adult size at 2-3 years old. The diagram on tnis page is a good illustration:
http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... -size-life-expectancy.htm
Bouncinsheep Bouncinsheep
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 23/2/2015 11:48
Re: Is PH too high for my goldfish #5
Hi, I got 2 fancies at the beginning of June, about 1" long plus tail. Now my largest fish is about 4" plus tail!!!
Good luck.
[img align=center]http://www.fishkeeping.
Charlie Charlie
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 23/2/2015 21:01
Re: Is PH too high for my goldfish #6
Hi Fishlady.. I saw this diagram and thought it was for common gold fish as the drawing looks nothing like a fancy.. doh! Thank you for that!

OMG bouncinsheep! That's huge in no time at all! Thank you for putting it in perspective for me. I was told mine were a year old and they are just over 2 inches.. it was a good aquarium they came from but something tells me maybe they arent that old!

Thanks so much :)
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 23/2/2015 22:00
Re: Is PH too high for my goldfish #7
Check out my photies, some then and now shots. Even I cannot believe quite how fast they've grown!
Charlie Charlie
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 23/2/2015 22:48
Re: Is PH too high for my goldfish #8
Bouncinsheep..Love your tank with the crystals... And you have a black moor! Love her name pop... I'm in love with black moors, have a girly called Silk. Only wish I could catch her like you have pop. What a shot! I also have 2 orandas.. one red cap and one completely white.. then our fizzy.. a spotty fancy, no idea what type she is but she's gorgeous. We're going through a fish in cycle.. down to bad advice. Its bloody hard work, and stressful, but they're ok. I'm keeping a close eye on them and their water! I'm determined to get us through it..

How long have you had fish? I'm literally just over 2 weeks in!
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 24/2/2015 0:12
Re: Is PH too high for my goldfish #9
Ah, two weeks in...
...how I don't miss the early days!

Thanks BTW, I love my little guys too.
Pop is a boy, the white bumps on his fins are breeding tuburcules.
I got Bubbles ( bronze female ) and Fizzy ( calico male ) first week of June. In 90 litres!!! Bought them from pets at home, they said I could have 2 in 90 litres but to run the filter for 5 days instead of the usual 3 before putting the fish in!?! Not sure what they think this achieves?
I was 7 months pregnant and had to undertake daily water changes, upto 100%!
Also, had to return Bubbles due to ill health, was replaced two weeks later, my little boy doesn't know she is a different fish.
Fizzy suffered what I think was an ulcer above one eye, think his vision is impaired as a result, amazed he made it to be honest.
I believe that Fizzy and Pop are smaller due to A: being male and B: poor eyesight, I often see them swimming towards food then missing it when they get up close.
Splash, our last member, was teeny, maybe an inch? She is now not far off Bubbles!
Hope you are successful with your guys/gals, they are truly worth it!
Charlie Charlie
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 6/3/2015 17:35
Re: Is PH too high for my goldfish #10
Hey Bouncinsheep,

sorry for the late reply... I cannot believe that you were 7 months pregnant and doing the daily water changes... Makes me feel a bit of a softy, but to be honest I dont mind at all if it means they are ok and they get through this. My husband isnt as enthusiastic about the whole fish thing as me butI think he's coming round to at least to let me get on with it... since the last time we spoke my oranda has developed a lump at the base of her fin. Im so worried about it.. its just one thing after another at the moment!

I have to say Pop is the prettiest little boy, maybe because he is sooooo pretty I thought he was a girlie.. sorry about that :)