dominate dominate
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/2/2015 12:14
fluorescent tube lighting swapping to LED #1
Hi

I have a 50L aquarium with fluorescent tube lighting integrated in the hood. I'm doing a fishless cycle at the moment, and have a few plants.

I've noticed that although the tube lighting is covered with plastic they are becoming very hot. I was wondering if it's possible to swap them over to LED lamps instead? Not only am i worried about the heat but they are so expensive to run.

I asked in my local aquatics shop and they said i should buy a LED strip light that attaches on, but i don't really want to do that if i already have fittings for lighting built into the hood.

Has anyone had any experience of this please?

Thanks
Plug1989 Plug1989
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Cambridgeshire
  • Posted on: 4/12/2015 15:29
Re: fluorescent tube lighting swapping to LED #2
If your light is a tube you can just swap the tube.
I personally would go to an electrical wholesaler like edmundson electrical or newey and Eyre. Someone will find something and cheaper
james15 james15
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 4/12/2015 16:57
Re: fluorescent tube lighting swapping to LED #3
Quote:

Plug1989 wrote:
If your light is a tube you can just swap the tube.

It's not quite as simple as that - both fluorescent and LED lights require a driver circuit which is usually built into the fitting, and the two types are completely different. As far as I know there is not currently an LED lamp available which will work on an existing fluorescent fitting without replacing the driver circuit in the fitting.
Sarge7 Sarge7
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Cornwall
  • Posted on: 10/11/2016 19:21
Re: fluorescent tube lighting swapping to LED #4
If your serious about the led strip then it's curtains for your exsisting set up but you can screw fixing into the hood where your current tubes are take a look at tri spec led light strip videos on YouTube it shows what I mean alternatively have you heard of leddy led aquarium tubes they are retrofit they fit into your exsisting light fittings but have they're own power supply might solve your problem
ALLYMACD ALLYMACD
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Posted on: 11/11/2016 16:30
Re: fluorescent tube lighting swapping to LED #5
It depends on what type of ballast is fitted to your hood. If it's a standard magnetic ballast then Arcadia do Led tubes to convert from standard fluorescent tubes. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARCADIA-CLA ... m:mnX0-m4dxruaI68KpXeoBVw
They do not work with electronic ballasts or Juwel aquariums though.