Karl Karl
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 10/2/2015 15:29
Swollen Fish #1
Hi,
One of my Carp (Not Koi) has developed what I think is swim bladder. The fish is around 11" & has become very swollen. Remedies I've seen aren't much good for a big garden pond. I'm not feeding as it's cold but under advice have put in some garden peas crushed.
Any advice please am reluctant to remove fish long term from pond as I've simply nowhere to put it until April. Got somewhere to put fish for a while if anyone thinks the Epsom Salts or other remedies work.
Thank in anticipation.
Karl.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 10/2/2015 17:58
Re: Swollen Fish #2
I've kept goldfish in tanks in the past, each of which suffered from swimbladder problems either occasionally or frequently. If a daily or twice-daily pea with its shell off, and cut into small morsels, didn't work after a few days, then I used aquarium salt. This often worked (90% of the time) within 24hrs, resulting in the fish being back to its normal self, and, if not, then I used swimbladder treatment or internal bacterial infection treatment. I'd definitely recommend aquarium salt treatment, particularly as we aren't yet sure if this is a swimbladder malfunction or not - usually the more obvious symptom is abnormal swimming behaviour or floating.
Karl Karl
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 11/2/2015 23:46
Re: Swollen Fish #3
Thanks. I've been trying peas. Problem is it's winter & the fish shouldn't be feeding anyway. I've been considering Epson Salts, but would have to put the fish in a container for a while. No idea for how long?
Best wishes & thanks,
Karl.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 12/2/2015 8:00
Re: Swollen Fish #4
I reckon 24hrs, or at most 48hrs, in the tank should be enough to see if the treatment works - in my experience, it should have worked by that stage. If not, then the fish might need to be in the tank for another couple of days if you wanted to try adding more, with a water change. If you wanted to try one of the medications, then it's usually about a fortnight.

Obviously, you don't want to stress/shock the fish with vast temperature changes from the pond to the tank temperature, so hopefully others with pond experience can advise on that and any other issues to consider when transferring pond fish into tanks and back into ponds during winter.