Beanikki Beanikki
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Staffordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 6/2/2015 8:56
Devon looking like she could die #1
Hi
I've previously posted about Devon and her egg laying.

She still hasn't eaten in 2 weeks. No eggs laid for 2 days now. This morning she is floating on her side in the tank, not on the bottom or right at the top, just in the middle of the tank.
No raised scales or outward signs of disease.

I don't think she's going to make it.

Water parameters are excellent due to all the egg removing water changes.

Can anyone offer advice at all???

Thanks
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 6/2/2015 9:28
Re: Devon looking like she could die #2
Hi

So sorry to hear she's no better. Goldfish with egg problems aren't something I'm much help with, but I've PM'd someone who knows more about it. Hang on in there and hopefully you'll have some help soon .
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 6/2/2015 11:27
Re: Devon looking like she could die #3
No experience in the egg issue, unfortunately. However, if it's any consolation, you've been doing the right things with the water changes and therefore have good water parameters.

The only other suggestion I have, and which helped when my goldfish had various problems and seemed to be floating in discomfort, was to raise the water temperature slightly and to add a dose of aquarium salt. One dose of this aquarium salt often revived them - occasionally from what seemed to be "at death's door" to being back to their normal selves. I'm not sure if this situation is sounding like it may be too late for this - but it might be worth a try.
Beanikki Beanikki
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 6/2/2015 13:39
Re: Devon looking like she could die #4
Thanks guys.

She's not looking good.

I'm going to try the Epsom salt bath for 15 mins as I've read in other threads for egg binding - I'm assuming that's what it is, I can't think of anything else that would cause her to have these symptoms.

Also going to lower the tank water level to reduce the pressure on her.

Raising water temperature - how much by?

I haven't got an air stone to put in the bath with her, she should be OK for 15 mins though shouldn't she? I mean they get carried in bags with no air for longer.

It's my last hope I think!
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Posted on: 6/2/2015 18:16
Re: Devon looking like she could die #5
Sorry - I've been at work since lunchtime, so just noticed this now, and hoping I'm not too late/you haven't been waiting for a response!

I'm not entirely sure what you're meaning by an Epsom salt bath or only for 15mins - if you've read advice on it elsewhere, then it might be fine. Do you mean putting her in the actual bath in your bathroom? If so, it will be vital to make sure that there are no traces of household cleaning products in it.

What I was referring to was special aquarium salt which is put into the tank and left there (although it will dilute with water changes). The water temperature rise would need to be very gradual, only by a degree or two at first - I'll see if I can find out more about it as it's quite a few years since I used that method, or maybe someone else can advise on this in the meantime. Reducing the water level is indeed something else that's worth trying, although only so much as allows the filter to continue functioning.

The only other condition that has crossed my mind is that this is a form of internal bacterial infection. My goldfish had similar symptoms of lying on his side or on the bottom, and really looked at death's door for several days, but internal bacterial infection treatment worked absolute wonders on him, and he lived for another 4+ years after that near-death experience.

I really hope that one of the above might help - I'd advise getting some aquarium salt if you don't already have any, and/or some internal bacterial infection treatment, if you can get hold of them from anywhere this evening.
Beanikki Beanikki
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 6/2/2015 18:24
Re: Devon looking like she could die #6
Hi
Thanks for getting back to me.

The Epsom salts bath is a bucket of water from the aquarium with Epsom salts in it. A previous poster on here said it could help with egg binding.

She's had the 15 mins 'bath' and we also very gently stroked her abdomen which I read elsewhere and it was weird because a load of white gunk came out of her bottom!

The aquarium has got some anti bacterial meds in I did that first thing when I saw her this morning in case it helped. Not sure if I can put aquarium salt in as well as meds?

We dropped the tank level a bit as well.

No change in her so far. Still on her side but floating in the middle of the water but her breathing is very slow and has been for a few hours now.

I think we will lose her to be honest but am willing to try anything.
Beanikki Beanikki
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 6/2/2015 20:14
Re: Devon looking like she could die #7
She's gone now.

Thanks for the help those who responded.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Posted on: 6/2/2015 20:19
Re: Devon looking like she could die #8
I had just seen your message and was actually in the process of replying to you when I saw your message come through.

I'm incredibly sorry to read this sad news. Rest assured that you did absolutely everything you could have for her - she's been very lucky to have such a lovely owner, and it sounds like equally she gave you a lot.

Best wishes.
Beanikki Beanikki
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 6/2/2015 20:22
Re: Devon looking like she could die #9
Thank you for the kind words.
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 6/2/2015 21:05
Re: Devon looking like she could die #10
Sorry to hear she didn't make it I'm afraid I've very little experience with spawning females, so I'm not really sure what could have been the complication. If she was releasing the eggs that's a good thing, often they need a male but not always and it's better for them to release them than not.

Sounds like you did everything possible though so try not to feel too sad, she did have a good life while she was with you
It's Not Just A Fish